Ran into some hard coral...
What do I do now? The scratch is about an inch long, right in the center of my lens, and I can see it clearly when I close focus.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by tursiops ·
Read-only discussion
Ran into some hard coral...
What do I do now? The scratch is about an inch long, right in the center of my lens, and I can see it clearly when I close focus.
You can probably get it polished from someone like focal point in Colorado, cheaper than a new one. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it is probably too deep to fix. There are people who think they can do this themselves but they are mostly wrong. I think focal point charges between $200 and $300 to polish such lenses, there are other companies that do it as well.
Bill
The dome is made of double coated glass it cannot be polished. You need to send it back to Nauticam for replacement
Or fill it with clear fingernail polish, then buff lightly with acetone and a Terry cloth. That's an age-old trick that's worked on auto glass for as long as I can remember. Most UW glass is not externally coated, contrary to popular belief (anti-reflective coatings would go on the INSIDE of the dome, if at all) and if you're already annoyed by the scratchyou have nothing to lose in trying. Worst case, you have to strip the entire exterior glass with the acetone if you do have some rare coating there that is noticeably affected. (Test a corner first)
Reviving this old thread. My camera fell (someone asked for my attention in 20sec between when I thethered the camera and when I picked it up). it fell from 20cm height face first on the WWL-1 on to a rocky surface. Now there is a nice, relatively deep scratch dead center of the dome. Any recommendations?
Argh. Not good but you know that.
If the scratch really shows in the images and it's too hard to edit out in post, I'd contact Nauticam and see if it's possible - and at what cost - to replace the outer glass.
I had to do this. The cost was about half the cost of a new lens.
Then i scratched it again...thus the post that started this thread. I'm just living with it this time....
On 3/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, tursiops said:I had to do this. The cost was about half the cost of a new lens.
Then i scratched it again...thus the post that started this thread. I'm just living with it this time....
ouch. DId you try the nail polish suggestion?
Polish doesnt work at all..just forget it
I have changed mine for about 400 US dollars plus the delivery coasts for both ways.
Focal Point in Colorado have closed permanently.
Maybe this? No experience with them personally, but website looks promising
https://www.pstechnik.de/services/lens-service
Nothing quite like German optics:)
On 3/7/2021 at 1:28 PM, tursiops said:I had to do this. The cost was about half the cost of a new lens.
Then i scratched it again...thus the post that started this thread. I'm just living with it this time....
How much did it cost to have the outer lens element replaced? Who did you contact?
39 minutes ago, gearbow_36218 said:How much did it cost to have the outer lens element replaced? Who did you contact?
In 2016 it cost $520 (plus shipping) and had to be done by the factory. Reef Photo and Video handled it for me.
On 6/19/2016 at 11:03 AM, Interceptor121 said:The dome is made of double coated glass it cannot be polished. You need to send it back to Nauticam for replacement
Nope.
Coating is internal.
Rosario polished my scratched wwl (he make it for friends only) and now it is perfect.
Sorry I did not realized this was al old thread.
The info is correct anyway.
There is one for sell in classifieds. Good price.
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.