hi, does anyone have any info on materials such as PLA suitability in seawater ? Will it degrade/deform when used for a period of time ?
Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic
3D printed material in seawater
Started by bighead ·
- 7Posts
- 7Replies
Read-only discussion
3D printed material in seawater
-
-
I've heard ABS is the way to go.. alot of sea water aquarium guys printed PLA as the artificial reef but failed. Then they switched to ABS amd everything went well for years.
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
-
PLA is corn based? Or something? I'm using ABS. No problems.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Pla is basically corn base
-
ask reefnet. I have a printed wet lens flip up mount (and a couple hand held mounts) that are as good as new 10 years later.
My belief is that you need to worry more about UV rays from sunlight than salt water. But I could be wrong...
-
PLA is used medically for time released drug delivery since it dissolves over time. Use ABS or something like polycarbonate.
Bill
-
Anyone know about SLS nylon?