Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikeite A7RII housing and FE28/2 with SEL057FEC converter

Started by dennismullen ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikeite A7RII housing and FE28/2 with SEL057FEC converter

6 posts
  1. I bought this setup because other fisheye lens configurations with adapters do not allow continuous AF while recording video with the Sony A7RII.

    It is shown as supported on the Ikelite site.

    I’ve hit a brick wall because the shade on the SEL057FEC isn’t removable and its diameter is 3.5 inches and the 5510.24 port allows only 3.3 inches.

    How can this be?

    Edited by dennismullen
  2. Try mounting the extension to the housing then mount the lens to the camera from the front of the housing, then mount the port over the lens onto the extension and reposition the port shade so it will not vignette.

  3. Try mounting the extension to the housing then mount the lens to the camera from the front of the housing, then mount the port over the lens onto the extension and reposition the port shade so it will not vignette.

    Thanks, I was able to do as you suggested. It's pretty scary as there is a lot of friction and I fear I may not be able to get it back off one day.

    Is it necessary to tighten the dome till it won't turn any more? This is where it gets tough to undo it while attached to the camera.

    I wish Sony would make a proper high quality fisheye lens for full frame e-mount! Then you wouldn't need such a long extension and this elaborate assembly procedure.

    Forget about changing the battery on the boat!

    Edited by dennismullen
  4. The best suggestion I can give you regarding install of the port is to grease the port threads as well as the O-ring and remove often. I find that the biggest problem with battery power comes when using the 90mm macro. I am getting longer battery life with my wide lenses which include the Canon 8-15 Fisheye zoom and the Zeiss 18mm F/2.8.

  5. The best suggestion I can give you regarding install of the port is to grease the port threads as well as the O-ring and remove often. I find that the biggest problem with battery power comes when using the 90mm macro. I am getting longer battery life with my wide lenses which include the Canon 8-15 Fisheye zoom and the Zeiss 18mm F/2.8.

    Thanks Phil, I appreciate the help.

     

    I'm getting the hang of it after a few practice setups. I tighten the dome and then back off about a half inch so it doesn't freeze on. It's a hassle but so far so good.

    I haven't had a chance to compare quality with my 8-15mm. It's all give and take.

     

    I'm still experimenting with the canon 8-15 and video as that is by far my favorite lens. I find I've got out of focus video too often though.

    I've got just one thumb screw on the dome shade so I can take it off and clip it to me when shooting at 8mm.

     

    Cheers,

  6. I bought a strap wrench to hold the extension while I turn the dome port on. It works great.

     

     

    Cheers,

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.