Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

sea lions

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

sea lions

4 posts
  1. Hi,

    I am leaving for La Paz next week. I want to shoot sea lions. Wich AF-mode can you recommand for the Nikon D810? the normal AF-c, Group AF, 3-D AF. Or would you recommand to prefocus ( Fix Focus), because of he speed the sea lions move? I will be shooting the nikon 16-35mm or the Nikon 16mm FE with 1.4 teleconverter.

    Rob

  2. Hi Rob,

     

    With seals (similar speed) with the D810, I use AF-C in 3D AF mode almost exclusively, It is amazingly fast and accurate.

     

    If you have the options I would suggest using a Sigma 15mm with a 170mm port. The 16-35mm is great, but you really need to keep it at f8-f9 or greater to get good corners, even with a 9" dome and 70mm extension. The Nikkor 16mm doesn't focus as closely as the Sigma, which can be an advantage when the seals are right on your port. I wouldn't use the TC.

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  3. thanks Adam,

    I will try your sugestions.

  4. Hoping to see some soon as well. I haven't used AF-C 3D with my D810, so I'm looking forward to trying that. My go-to is usually AF-C and group area AF.

     

    I will confirm the Sigma 15 FE with 170mm dome is a great combo and works really well with a 20mm extension and Kenko 1.4 tele.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.