Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

OMD EM5 Inon Strobe HELP!!!

Started by sharkgal ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

OMD EM5 Inon Strobe HELP!!!

7 posts
  1. I've been shooting with my EM5 and Inon 2000 strobes...photos constantly come out green. Camera settings are auto WB, ISO 250, f45.5-5.6, shutter 125-160, natural (not vivid). Strobes on manual, full, magnets removed. VERY frustrated, got better pics with my old point /shoot! Any and all suggestions welcome!!

    post-53863-0-34108500-1467992141_thumb.jpeg

    post-53863-0-20458700-1467992163_thumb.jpeg

  2. If on manual, magnets need to be in. This cancels the pre-flash. Adam

  3. Any reason you prefer to use manual settings? That combination (which I also use) will produce very good results using sTTL. I shoot everything from super macro to close focus wide angle and only adjust the +/-EV knob from time to time. I'm going to guess without knowing what lens you were using, but for example:

     

    - If that turtle was about a meter away, a shutter of 1/160 and aperture of f8 with strobes on sTTL would give a very pleasing foreground exposure with a deep blue background.

     

    - The feather duster worm is a different story. if you were within say 1/3 of a meter, 1/160 and just about any aperture would allow sTTL to light the whole frame quite evenly, assuming your strobes are aimed correctly.

     

    But on both shots I have a question: in the turtle image I see some backscatter and in the feather image on the far left it almost looks like a strobe did fire but was aimed out of the frame. Both could be indications that your strobes are firing, but aimed too wide. Or maybe your are zooming in with the lens but keeping at a distance too far for the strobes to work effectively (i.e. anything over a meter). Forgive me if this assumption is off the mark.

     

    Regardless, you can check your settings at home. Take a shot facing a mirror. if you can see the strobe firing in the resulting image, they are in snyc. If not, try Adam's suggestion. I'd also recommend experimenting with sTTL with a table top subject. By the way, for sTTL your camera flash needs to be set to "Fill" while for manual you can set it to 1/64 power.

  4. Hi,
    set the iso lower, the aperture a bit higher like f8.
    You get to much natural light.( blue / green )
    I use the same combination, but in A mode, strobes in ttl, sometimes depending on the result change the strobes to plus or minus.
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  5. It looks like you are not getting any strobe light to the subject. With the same camera and strobes I shoot at 1/250 shutter, f:11 or f:16 and the strobes on manual (with magnets in). If you turn off your strobes I think you will get the same photos, but this can easily be checked at home on the kitchen table. With strobes off photos should be mostly just black, with strobes on they should be well lit.

    Bill

  6. i have an em5.... the question is.... did you set the EM5 strobe to manual?? ...... i Always use it in manual and depowered to 1/64....

  7. Did any of this help? Would be nice to hear feedback

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.