Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon 105VR with Subal FP75 with extension ring

Started by markhardy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon 105VR with Subal FP75 with extension ring

4 posts
  1. I'm upgrading to the Nikon D500 with Subal housing. For various reasons I prefer to buy only one flat port (intention FP75) and a couple of extension rings to give me the flexibility to use both my old and eventually also new 60mm and 105mm lenses (without manual focus gears).

     

    I'd like to check with any Subal users whether the Nikon 105VR fits inside the FP75 (using an extension ring)? I figure it should because 105VR has 83mm diameter while the ports and extension rings seem to have internal diameter of 84mm. That sounds tight.

     

    Can anyone confirm that would be possible?

     

  2. Hi Mark

     

    I've not seen whether the Subal ND500 has a type 3 or type 4 port opening. I've used a Nikkor 105VR with both Subal type 3 and type 4 ports/EXRs. Obviously with the type 4 there is no problem. Type 3 is ok but I did find that sometimes, installing the port over the lens resulted in one of the switches being pushed on the lens barrel. I had to watch out for this. Generally the problem was the focus limiter switch that was moved.

     

    So type 4 fine, type 3 can be slightly tricky but certainly possible.

    Edited by TimG
  3. Thanks Tim. It will be a type 4 housing with type 4 port, so it sounds like it would fit safely. Thanks!

  4. Thanks Tim. It will be a type 4 housing with type 4 port, so it sounds like it would fit safely. Thanks!

     

    OK, if it's Type 4 there is no problem. You can either fit the camera into the housing with the 105VR on the camera. Or install the camera and then add the lens through the housing opening. Either works and I've not found any advantage/disadvatage to either.

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.