Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Pole cams for wary critters

Started by ComeFromAway ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Pole cams for wary critters

3 posts
  1. I find myself frequently wishing I had a pole cam to give me added reach when working with skittish fish. I don't dive (not yet anyway!) and so am confined to snorkelling. The other day I was out trying to shoot American eels in an estuary here on Prince Edward Island and noticed that each time I would dive down (it's only about 6 ft but I'm trying to get "on their level" for a better POV) the fish would spook. This doesn't always happen, but frequently it does. I also notice this with trout in shallow rivers. Both are fine with the presence of the housing it seems, but move your head/body toward them and off they go.

     

    Does anyone have photos/DIY directions (materials, mounting methods, etc.) for a pole cam that they've built that actually works? I'm shooting with a D7000 in an Ikelite housing (with Inon Z240 strobe). Looking to gather ideas.

  2. I recall a thread on this idea some time ago. My lazy 30 second search didn't find it but maybe a little effort will reveal it.

     

    Member Tom_Kline has posted on this kind of photography, you could try reaching out to him

  3. I have made several postings here. As well you can see a few videos on my website that show my setups in action. I am using Seacam equipment. Main things you will have to figure out for your housing is how to attach the pole and how you will integrate remote control.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.