Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Is anyone doing Focus Pulls?

Started by SCUBA Hank ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Is anyone doing Focus Pulls?

2 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    Not sure if anyone is doing this successfully underwater but I am curious if anyone is doing focus pulls.

     

    I ask because I think it would be very cool to pull form out of focus to totally in focus underwater on a subject.

     

    That being said, considering that we usually keep our lens and camera in manual focus mode while shooting video I am curious how anyone is doing this (if anyone)....

     

     

    Thoughts?

     

     

    -Scuba Hank

     

    PS- If anyone has any other cool tips for creative video of focus modes I am all ears!

     

  2. Hank

     

    I had a couple of (unsuccessful) attempts at puling focus from one subject to another but found that turning the focus knob introduced unacceptable camera movement even when using a tripod and I would often miss the target focus. But I am sure that if you stuck with it you could nail it.

     

    If you just want to come into focus from a blurred start you can do that quite well in post by keyframing a blur effect. I'm sure most NLEs have the capability.

     

    Cheers

    Steve

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.