Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Hawkwing Conch with a "Little" Extra

Started by divingmedic ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Hawkwing Conch with a "Little" Extra

6 posts
  1. Hawkwing Conch with a "Little" Extra

    I took this picture of a Hawkwing Conch in Cozumel a couple of years ago. I haven't got a firm decision on what the "tuby thing" is, just a lot of conjecture. What do you guys think ??

     

    I've made the picture a little bigger now.

  2. The little Extra

    I believe the little extra is actually a whale's penis :shock: According to esteemed divemaster Capitan Mamoto, whom has lived in the Mambo Casa of Cozumel for many moons, the whales penises are shed every year. When the currents are precisely correct the whale penises float into cozumel where they are considered a delicacy for the conchs. Whom after eating them go into a reproductivity frenzy, called the never ending conch orgy. Jacques Cousteau first cataloged this phenomenon in 1962 off the coast of the Easter Islands. Hope this helps

     

    Aaron

  3. Hahahah, nice try Mr. Mishkin. While a detachable penis (ala King Missle) would be nice, the species hasn't evolved that far yet.

     

    It's a conch egg casing.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Thanks James,

     

    Does the whole casing detach from the conch, or does it release the eggs?

     

    Jeff

  5. I hope you guys enjoyed that post. :wink: Anyways I'm working the summer in Cozumel. I showed that picture to some friends and they don't think it's an egg casing. They believe it is a parasite. Sometimes these (mysterious things) can be seen on gorgonians. I'm going to check with a marine biology guy a little later today and I'll let you know.

     

    Any chance we could get a picture a little larger?

     

    Aaron

  6. Well, you guys are right. I received comfirmation that the mysterious white thing is in fact a conch egg casing. I was also told if you approach them and look very closely in between the segmentations you can see 4-5 baby conchs developing.

     

    Aaron

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.