Skip to content

Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic

Swimming with whales in Azores?

Started by Anders Nyberg ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Swimming with whales in Azores?

6 posts
  1. will go to the Azores in September. a few days shark diving, swimming with dolphins and whale watching.

    To enter the water with whales you need a special permit that costs 600 EUR. the question is whether it's worth it?

    has anyone some experience?

     

    To enter the water with whales you need a special permit that costs 600 EUR.

    Edited by Anders Nyberg
  2. So now they’ve just straight out offered you a permit for a price? So much for permit application vs just paying to get that privilege.

    But yes, if you get lucky and have cetaceans which are playful, it can be awesome. Depends on your luck. I’ve had blown out days, bad days and unhappy animals that just run from anything human!

  3. So now they’ve just straight out offered you a permit for a price? So much for permit application vs just paying to get that privilege.

    But yes, if you get lucky and have cetaceans which are playful, it can be awesome. Depends on your luck. I’ve had blown out days, bad days and unhappy animals that just run from anything human!

    Hi

    I went to Azores in September and they don't just give away permit for a price, the animals are protected and thats really good I think. Had some really great diving and lot of opportunity to photograph sharks and mobulas. Did see lot of whales at the surface and we did not go near them for just the reason to protect them :)

    So that information that I was telling about at first time was wrong ;), feel free to see my pictures from Azores in attached link

     

    http://www.worldoceanphoto.com/the-azores-1

  4. Hi, I know this post has kinda closed but am heading to Azores in early September. I have a few questions if you dont mind.

     

    -What was water temp and what mm wet suit did you go for?

     

    I have a wide angle set up. would it be worth taking macro set up also?

     

    -What dive shop did you dive with?

     

    Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Many thanks Kevin

  5. Hi @Kevindale222, how was your trip? Did you manage to get recommendations for your questions please as I'm planning the same this year.

  6. @Anders Nybergdo you mind if I ask about the permit application process, the cost and time please? I'm extremely interested but I wouldn't be classified as a "professional" - so I'm not sure what evidence is required to even submit...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.