Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

6" vs 8" Ikelite Dome Lens Port

Started by tcarson ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

6" vs 8" Ikelite Dome Lens Port

3 posts
  1. Does anybody know any substantial differences between the 6" and 8"? I'm deciding which to get. The lens I have - Nikon 20mm f/1.8 - fits both. I'm thinking the only differences would be half in / half out shots and buoyancy. Anybody have any experience using either or both?

     

    Thanks,

    Thomas

  2. The Nikon 20mm is a rectilinear wide angle lens i believe. So in order to obtain the highest image quality and in particular the sharpness (mostly in the corners) you will need to put it behind the largest dome port possible. Therefor the 8" will be your best bet. And yes split shots will be easier the bigger the dome.

     

    Hope this helps!

     

    Grant

  3. I've had no issues using a Canon 17-40mm in a 6" dome. The photos shot here http://65.78.143.142/webcontent/holtzman/underwater/CozumelUW15/were all shot with the 17-40. Near the end are a couple of under and over shots.

     

    I just bought a Sigma 17-70mm lens and will be using it in an 8" dome soon.

     

    Jim

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.