Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Dome port reflection?

Started by BC83 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Dome port reflection?

16 posts
  1. I am using a canon 60d with an NA60D, Tomkina 10-17, 20mm extension and 8 inch dome

     

    When shooting at the wider end I am getting a reflection I think in the dome that's at the top of the images. The reflection is being generated from the internal flash

     

    As I zoom the lens the reflection move further out until it disappears at 14mm

     

    I don't think it's a scratch issue as its to uniform with an arch then 3 Marlena either side, plus its symmetrical and also if I mount the port upside down its still there

     

    How can I resolve this?

     

    Take a look at the top of the image in the deter and either side of the arched mark

     

    Look forward to getting some help!

     

    Byron c3bf7ba780c98336ed01cd6aa68fb34e.jpg

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. U can try to stuff foam/sponge around the lens to prevent light from causing the relfection

     

    Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

  3. U can try to stuff foam/sponge around the lens to prevent light from causing the relfection

     

    Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

     

    Thanks for your reply

     

    Is this a common problem?

     

    Byron

  4. yes it is. You can make a ring to fit around the lens that fills up the port.

  5. Yep, I have the same problem with a Sigma 15mm and a Subal 230 dome.

     

    I thought I'd tape over the area on the lens with electrical tape.

  6. Ok cool, sounds like a nice easy solution. I must say I find it a little baffling that given the costs of ports, housings etc that this is a common issue. You would have thought the manufacturers would have resolved this

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. Has anyone got any examples (Pictures) of methods they have used to resolve this?

     

    Cheers

     

    Byron

  8. I had the same issue after shaving the lens hood off my Tokina 10-17mm. I coloured the silver parts in with black permanent marker and this helped resolve the issue.

  9. I have bought the skirt already made.

    (See Neoprene Light Blocking Mask on the link

    http://aquatica.ca/en/accessories_misc.html)

     

    Wow, that's a pretty neat bit of equipment! What was the price, pbalves? I couldn't see one on the website.

  10. This one is for the Tokina 10-17 FE in Aquatica port

     

    Probably it works on other ports if they have the internal diameter equal or smaller than the aquatica one

  11. Great stuff guys, just what I was after. Cheers

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I shall make one tomorrow with one of the old drysuits!

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. The Nexus mini-dome 1017 for the Tokina 10-17 has an internal baffle fitting that avoids this problem.

    with other domes, I use soft foam cut to fit around the lens and inside the dome/port, same as mentioned above.

    I think I found the foam at a hobby store.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.