Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma MC11 + Sigma 10mm fisheye = on Sony A6000... Your opinion plz ?

Started by Eitan Ben Tsvi ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma MC11 + Sigma 10mm fisheye = on Sony A6000... Your opinion plz ?

12 posts
  1. The new Sigma MC-11 adapter has very good results with the sony E-mount
    and the Sigma 10mm fisheye (APS-C) also looks very promising with great reviews
    and 13.5cm Minimum Focusing Distance.

    What do you think about this combination....with the Sony A6000,
    for underwater photography? CWFA etc.?

    Edited by Eitan Ben Tsvi
  2. MC-11 and the fisheye are not compatible on the APS-C or FF Sony cameras.

  3. MC-11 and the fisheye are not compatible on the APS-C or FF Sony cameras.

    mmmm.....yes I've just checked it too :nea: - very strange they didn't solve this...
    you should expect it to work with all native Sigma APS-C lens...no?

    Any way,
    How would be the combination of the Metabones Mk IV
    with Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX , in your opinion?
    Or other solution for quality fisheye? on the sony A6000?
    THX!
  4. Metabones + Canon 8-15mm F4 works, but the AF is not that fast.

  5. Metabones + Canon 8-15mm F4 works, but the AF is not that fast.

     

    On Metabones Lens compatibility chart >> under " Fast AF on all E-mount cameras"
    they also listed the Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX for Canon

     

    Did you have / heard about any actual experience with this combo?

     

    THX!

    Edited by Eitan Ben Tsvi
  6. Hm, "fast AF" with the Metabones is relative, in my experience, even on a A7R2 (which I use on land). True, the wider the lens, the better it works (usually), but even with the 8-15mm, AF is not "snappy". And I did have some problems underwater with the Metabones, losing contact to the lens - and then you're done, as restarting the camera doesn't solve the problem, you have to remove the adapter from the camera. Camera still works in that situation, but only at base aperture (again, not that dramatic in a wide angle, more of a problem with a macro lens at F2.8).

     

    Not many people are experimenting with the smaller Sony mirrorless cameras. Even I have switched to a Canon 7D2 now, from a NEX-6. Housing / zoom gear is a pi.t.a. for the combo of small mirrorless housings and large lenses. I made the Canon fisheye work, with a zoom gear I found somewhere and the base adapter Zen built for the Metabones / Canon macro combo. You probably can't use the internal zoom gear of your housing. Best combo I had for WA on the Sony was the Zeiss Touit 12mm, but, as you noted, not that suited for CFWA.

  7. Why not stay with the Sigma 10/2.8 and use the native Sony LA-EA3/4 instead? Having said that, I don't know if that combination phyiscally fits into your housing but AF should be fine at least with LA-EA4 (I'm not sure how well the a6000 performs with the LA-EA3).

  8. Why not stay with the Sigma 10/2.8 and use the native Sony LA-EA3/4 instead? Having said that, I don't know if that combination phyiscally fits into your housing but AF should be fine at least with LA-EA4 (I'm not sure how well the a6000 performs with the LA-EA3).

    :).....it is good idea I know.

    I thought about it (LA-EA2 is the Aps-c model) and tried to ask sigma if they know it will work - and they don't
    I'm trying to find out if someone actually test it

    THX
    Edited by Eitan Ben Tsvi
  9.  

    :).....it is good idea I know.

    I thought about it (LA-EA2 is the Aps-c model) and tried to ask sigma if they know it will work - and they don't
    I'm trying to find out if someone actually test it

    THX

     

     

    I had the Sigma 10/2.8 and I tried it on my A7 with LA-EA3 once and it worked (although I would have had to shave it to cover the A7's full frame sensor). AF was naturally slow but this should not be an issue with LA-EA2/4.

  10.  

    I had the Sigma 10/2.8 and I tried it on my A7 with LA-EA3 once and it worked (although I would have had to shave it to cover the A7's full frame sensor). AF was naturally slow but this should not be an issue with LA-EA2/4.

    one of the reasons the autofocus is slow ...is that this adaptor apply only 15 AF points in the center ....instead of the all 179 points on the A6000 for example

     

  11. If you find a housing that takes an LA-EA2 oder -EA4, call me. That thing is BIG. If there was one, you could use Minolta AF lenses with fast AF, some of which are pretty good. LA-EA3, in my experience, does not work that well.

     

    Got my MC-11 yesterday, and it seems to work with a lot of lenses that are not listed as compatible by Sigma. That's on a A7R2. Haven't tested everything yet.

  12. If you find a housing that takes an LA-EA2 oder -EA4, call me. That thing is BIG. If there was one, you could use Minolta AF lenses with fast AF, some of which are pretty good. LA-EA3, in my experience, does not work that well.

     

    Got my MC-11 yesterday, and it seems to work with a lot of lenses that are not listed as compatible by Sigma. That's on a A7R2. Haven't tested everything yet.

     

    I don't think I will have problem placing the EA4 / 2 ....but I will have to check it of course
    I'm using the Easydive Wi3 housing - that is a multi universal housing and has a lot of space inside it
    ( I even combine a power bank made of 2 X 18650 panasinic batteries :)
    that gives me full diving day with 4 dives and upto 1200 shoots....without replaceing the battery )
    I am hesitating to buy a solution that I didn"t see how it is actually working
    ​I thought that the matabone + 10-17 Tokina is a winner
    Edited by Eitan Ben Tsvi
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.