I am looking to purchase my first digital underwater camera and am deciding between the SP-350 and C-5050. They are quite similar in price and functions. However the older C-5050 has an Fstop of f/1.8 with "Super bright zoom lens" compared to SP-350 with f/2.8. Visibility is not the most amazing in the Gulf off of FL so capturing most light as possible is best.
If anyone has any input on these cameras please help a newbie out! (:
Don't buy either, camera technology has moved on so much. Get something like an Olympus TG4 waterproof to 15m, very good macro mode, simple to use and cheap too. Can add a case to go deeper and an external strobe later on.
Don't buy either, camera technology has moved on so much. Get something like an Olympus TG4 waterproof to 15m, very good macro mode, simple to use and cheap too. Can add a case to go deeper and an external strobe later on.
Can't agree more... TG4 is the choicd over the 2 PS mentioned.
Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
Don't buy either, camera technology has moved on so much. Get something like an Olympus TG4 waterproof to 15m, very good macro mode, simple to use and cheap too. Can add a case to go deeper and an external strobe later on.
This would be ideal but I am on college kid budget here and would want something that could go deeper than 15m initially. I have found a SP-350 with housing for 100 dollars. I feel like this investment could get me into underwater photography to then move onto something like the Olympus TG4. Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it!!!
Can't agree more... TG4 is the choicd over the 2 PS mentioned.
Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
I understand they are POS compared to an Olympus TG4 and most modern cameras but I am looking for something to intially get me into the water.
I think the quality difference is worth a bit more. If you want look at a TG3 second hand or a Canon G15 or G16 with a housing. A camera from 2003 will be severely limiting in all departments.
Sea & Sea DX-1G *Housing & Camera Sea & Sea DX-8000 *Housing, Camera & Wide Angle Wet Lens* Sea & Sea DX-750G *Housing, Camera & Wide Angle Wet Lens*
There is also an Olympus TG2 stylus secondhand for 75 dollars.
for $50 grab the dx1g. it is a great system.
it shoots in full auto or manual, can do RAW, has a builtin flash and a hot shoe and can focus to within 1 inch of the lens at full zoom. i just replaced mine last year.
1 downside to the olympus tg line is no manual mode. if that matters.
P.S. stay away from the other 2 sea & Sea cameras...
for $50 grab the dx1g. it is a great system.
it shoots in full auto or manual, can do RAW, has a builtin flash and a hot shoe and can focus to within 1 inch of the lens at full zoom. i just replaced mine last year.
1 downside to the olympus tg line is no manual mode. if that matters.
P.S. stay away from the other 2 sea & Sea cameras...
it shoots in full auto or manual, can do RAW, has a builtin flash and a hot shoe and can focus to within 1 inch of the lens at full zoom. i just replaced mine last year.
1 downside to the olympus tg line is no manual mode. if that matters.
P.S. stay away from the other 2 sea & Sea cameras...
Sadly the guy said he had already sold the dx1g :/
I've read good and bad about the the other Sea&Sea 8000 and your word is confirmation of the bad.
The olympus TG2 is an option at this point but the housing is more than 3x the camera..yikes.
I'm going to just keep an eye on the market for a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the input!! (:
I went through some of my old cameras and found a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS that has a stupid problem. It only shuts on or off with battery removal and replacement. This might not be the biggest problem if I can find out how to turn off lcd/best power consumption. Guessing maybe less than an hour with constant shot or more than an hour with conservative shots.
I've contacted Canon for help and will see if my GeekSquad warranty is up. This problem occured a couple weeks after buying it and I never wanted to wait for GeekSquad to send it to canon anyways... I'm going to invest in a housing for it hopefully and share some cool pictures. I was thinking about getting a housing for my Nikon D100 but its a dinosaur.
Edit* just read up that long bridge zoom cameras are unfavorable because of how long the lens tube would need to be.. eh.
Check classifieds on this forum there is a TG2 and housing for sale. If your budget is really small only $100 or so you're not going to get decent results with a really old camera and you'll end up frustrated. Good results need a decent investment especially with an external strobe once you have a half decent camera.
Sony cybershot 14mp with ikelike housing and accessories.
Any thoughts as a solid starter setup? Btw my brother , who will go splits with me on this and I are new to SCUBA and currently saving for pieces of gear.
I have an old, yet pristine film SeaLife ReefMaster tray and strobe to start with.