Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

7 fish from Lembeh

Started by chowe ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

7 fish from Lembeh

4 posts
  1. The first fish was pointed out to me by my guide who later said he had never seen it before.

     

    4 and 5 were taken at night.

     

    Any help with ID is appreciated.

     

    I have 6 more that I will place in a separate post.

     

    post-51812-0-72848000-1473096820_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-05252800-1473096829_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-82981800-1473096847_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-29265300-1473096860_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-00850400-1473096900_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-98205200-1473096924_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-51707900-1473096945_thumb.jpg

  2. No. 2 is a goby - Valenciennea helsdingenii.

    No. 5 is a juvenile razor fish I think. Possibly a Peacock by the long first dorsal - Iniistius pavo

    The last one is a juvenile Unicornfish - Naso sp. Not sure which species

  3. No. 1 is obviously some sort of scorpionfish but I couldn't find a convincing match

     

    No. 3 the general shape and first dorsal fin point to a dragonet, but again one I can't place

     

    No. 4, starting so sound like a broken record, clearly a cardinalfish but not one I know. Very likely genus Ostorhinchus

     

    No 6, juvenile barracuda of one kind of another, but don't have ID books for juveniles.

     

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help and thanks for sharing

     

    Bart

  4. Thanks,

     

    For some reason I wasn't getting alerts on this thread even though I've set it to be followed. So sorry about the late reply. This is helpful.

     

    Craig

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.