Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

6 More from Lembeh

Started by chowe ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

6 More from Lembeh

7 posts
  1. I think 1 and 4 are the same fish. I have other photos of the same fish following a Whitespotted Puffer around.

     

    3 was taken at night

     

    post-51812-0-57506700-1473097396_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-23884300-1473097417_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-53898800-1473097431_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-42667800-1473097443_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-93981300-1473097459_thumb.jpgpost-51812-0-35433200-1473097474_thumb.jpg

  2. With 1 & 4 I have been down this route before. Seen this shadowing behaviour quite regularly in Lembeh and have been advised the "shadower" is either Carangoides coeruleopinnatus or C. armatus. Personally, I think the latter. They always in my experience follow various types of Puffer.

    The last one is a blenny - Petroscirtes mitratus

    No. 2 is some form of Conger - genus Ariosoma maybe

  3. Agree #1 & 4 are juvenile Carangoides armatus, longfin trevally. #2 I think Ariosoma anagoides, sea conger. #5 possibly lizardfish.

  4. Thanks guys, this was a big help. This was my first trip to Indonesia and I thought that in Lembeh it would be a lot of searching for a few pics. I took more pics in 2 days than I normally take in a week. Every time I go back to Indonesia will require another week in Lembeh. Your Id's were spot on. I also think #5 is a Lizardfish, but not one I can find in any of my books. I also have shots of it buried in the sand.

     

    Thanks again,

     

    Craig

  5. The lizardfish is genus Saurida based on the mouth shape. Species can be S. gracilis or S. nebulosa. Hard to tell apart.

     

    Number 3 looks somehow familiar but I can't place it. Might it be a night coloration?

  6. I think #3 is a juvenile Bream and it is at night. Here's a front on pic of the Lizardfish's mouth. I don't see a pattern on the skin that I would expect on any Lizardfish. It was taken at 9 AM.post-51812-0-27155000-1473403529_thumb.jpg

  7. #2 is a snake eel.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.