Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Wide angle wet lens

Started by Nir2C ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide angle wet lens

5 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I'm looking for the most suitable wet wide lens for me and I'll be glad to read your opinion.

    It is important for me that this lens will support also over-under photography.

    I'm using canon s100 with Ikelite housing.

    My options are either the W30 – flat port wide angle lens with x0.59 mag. or the WD3 – a dome port that provides x0.75 mag.

    Buying both is not an option. I have to pick one.

    From some research I did it seems that dome port will enable better over-under pictures.

    In addition the W30 lens cannot be used with full zoom out of the camera due to vignetting while WD3 can and with lower edge distortion. It means that the magnification difference is actually smaller.

    WD3 is lighter both over and under water and cheaper, but this is less important for me.

    What do you think?

    Is what I wrote correct?

    Are there additional important considerations I missed?

  2. Doesn't a wet lens require water between the lens and the camera to focus correctly?

    Doesn't the water drain out when you lift the camera out of the water, even partially?

  3. There will be water between the lens and the case. They were taken into account when the lens has been designed.

    If I got it right the lens is sealed when connected to the case thus taking it out of the water will still keep the water between the camera and the case.

  4. Doesn't a wet lens require water between the lens and the camera to focus correctly?

    Doesn't the water drain out when you lift the camera out of the water, even partially?

    It drains. It may drain before you take your picture, OR it may still be draining when you take your picture. My first set of over under pics with a wet lens was a total fail. I had a high water line in every pic. The lens was still draining when I fired off the shutter.

     

    With zero waves you may be able to control this. I gave up...

  5. It'll be great to see the pics you came up with. Also at second and third set.

    What setup did you use? (camera, case etc. . .)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.