Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What did I find - conch / cowrie eggs?

Started by troporobo ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

What did I find - conch / cowrie eggs?

2 posts
  1. Diving this past weekend at Anilao, it must have been the right moon phase, as we came across three interesting examples of of reproduction (I think).

     

    The first was on a vertical section of reef at about 12 m. There was a group of six conch shells (I've only ever seen one at a time) that I think were trapezius or horse conch. It was hard to be sure as they were so encrusted and since I had a macro lens mounted and the vis was not great I could not take a usable shot of one of them or of the group. Under a small overhang was a cluster of what might be egg cases. Can anyone confirm?

     

    30041364026_e136967454_z.jpg

     

    29780728990_0562078c6d_z.jpg

     

    29447497694_b02b5ff57c_z.jpg

     

    Continuing the theme, shortly thereafter we came upon a pair of egg cowries, this time a bit shallower at about 6 m. I think they were also depositing eggs:

     

    29780729310_8e6b09b488_z.jpg

     

    Then finally, I came across this transparent shrimp obviously bearing eggs, which I post just to round out the theme:

     

    29447498414_a53168ebb4_z.jpg

     

    Expert opinions on the two shells and links to learn more would be much appreciated.

     

     

  2. Can anyone help out with these questions?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.