Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Olympus TG-4 and housing and flash for a newbie: what are your recommendations?

Started by ouais ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus TG-4 and housing and flash for a newbie: what are your recommendations?

4 posts
  1. Hello there,

    As a first setup, I'd like to buy an Olympus TG-4 with its housing PT-056.
    The feedbacks are very good for this setup so I'm quite confident about the value for the money.
    Light being very important, I plan to add a flash.
    In the meantime, do you think that the diffuser coming with the housing is enough to have properly lighted pictures?

    As an external flash, UFL-3 from the same manufacturer seems to be a good choice as well.
    I especially like the fact that it integrates a light to help the camera focusing, which is very important.

    Any alternative to consider or just go with this one?

     

    I was wondering if the arm fitting in the flash connector of the housing (ptsa-3) to hold the flash above the camera is a good idea or if I should consider a plate with an arm to have the flash aside.
    What do you think?

     

    Also, UFL-3 is using a RC connection with the camera and I was wondering if it was better than classic TTL based on optical cable.
    Is someone using it? Is there a gain in terms of autonomy and recycling time?

    At last, I saw that Olympus is proposing a macro flash (LG2) which looks like a good idea, but I'm afraid it'll restrict the usage of the camera to macro photo only :(
    Or can I use this flash and an external flash at the same time?

    Ouais

  2. Hi there,

     

    One year ago I was doing same decision... I bought TG-4, with PT-056, I chose strobe Sea & Sea YS-03 instead of Olympus UFL-3 -I wanted to cut down cost of my new uw photography equipment!! I am using it for one year now and I am happy with my choice!! If you dont't mind to spend more money on the strobe than buy Olympus UFL-3, if you would like to save money buy Se&Sea YS-03.

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1088284-REG/sea_sea_ss_03541_ys_03_universal_lighting_system.html

     

    For the amount of money which you will save for example you can buy wide angle lens Olympus FCON-T01 Fisheye converter for TG-4

     

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970421-REG/olympus_v321190bw010_fcon_t01_fisheye_lens_and.html

    Good luck! Vladi..

  3. Hi Vladi,

     

    Thanks for your answer. I'll be checking the YS-03.

    I understand that I don't need an optical cable with the UFL-03 whereas I need one for the YS-03.

    Ah and I see that the YS-03 is lacking a target light.

    How does the autofocus performs on your setup?

    Are you using a separate light?

     

    For the wide angle, I saw that Olympus is proposing a PTWC-01 which looks promising. I'll compare the 2.

     

    Ouais

    Edited by ouais
  4. Out is,

     

    You still need to use a fiber optic cable with RC mode. The ufl3 looks to come with one, but you do need to use it.

     

    Rick

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.