Hi guys,
I'm looking for a wide-angle lens for my Panasonic GH2. This has got to be a multi-purpose lens, and will be used for everything from mountain landscapes above water, reef landscapes below, big fish, shipwrecks, CFWA shots, and even the occasional video. I am aware that this is a tall order for any lens, and that the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" may apply here.
These are the options I've found so far - in order of increasing cost!
Panasonic Fisheye 8mm/F3.5
Panasonic Rectilinear 7-14mm/F4.0
Olympus Fisheye 8mm/F1.8 PRO
Olympus Rectilinear 7-14mm/F2.8 PRO
After days and days and days of going back and forth, and agonising over the choice, this is where I've got to...
- I'm thinking rectilinear for the extra versatility, the straight lines above water and in wrecks, and the zoom (I suspect I wouldn't get close enough to a shark or manta ray to use the fisheye)
- I'm leaning towards the Olympus 7-14mm for its shorter minimum focus (thinking of the CFWA shots here), and by all accounts it's a much sharper lens with better colours than the Panasonic 7-14 is (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).
So that being the case, I have a few questions...
- Assembling the rig with the Olympus 7-14mm frankly sounds like a nightmare. Because of the lens' size, it can only fit through the front of the housing. So to even change the camera battery, you have to take off the port and extensions, remove the lens from the front, then open the housing and finally take the camera out through the back. To me that sounds like you've just doubled the chances of having a catastrophic flood. Is this as big a deal as I fear?
- I know fisheyes are the preferred lens for CFWA, but just how bad would the two rectilinear options be?
- Is the Olympus 7-14mm worth the extra money and installation hassle, compared to the Panasonic?
- I have a Nauticam housing. What port options do I have, and what gives best bang for buck?
Thanks in advance!