Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Possible to use Canon 16-35 f.28 II w/ Ikelite, a7RII and Metabones MkIV?

Started by rgilkes ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Possible to use Canon 16-35 f.28 II w/ Ikelite, a7RII and Metabones MkIV?

4 posts
  1. Hey Everybody,

     

    I just switch from Canon to a Sony a7RII and since the latest firmware update to the Metabones MkIV smart adapter I've been using my old glass.

     

    I'm looking to use my Canon 16-35mm F.28 II, but looking on the Ikelite site, it says it is not compatible. I saw a Lensprotogo video where they used the lense with a Canon 5Dmk3 so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it can be done with my a7RII and Metabones adapter? If so, what port and/or adapters do I need?

     

    Thanks!!

  2. I own the Sony 16-35mm zoom for my A7R II but I have been using the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom with Metabones IV in a Nauticam housing. Ikelite has a solution as well using the eight inch port in believe. I would be sending Ikelite or your Ikelite dealer an e-mail for the part numbers.

  3. I own the Sony 16-35mm zoom for my A7R II but I have been using the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye zoom with Metabones IV in a Nauticam housing. Ikelite has a solution as well using the eight inch port in believe. I would be sending Ikelite or your Ikelite dealer an e-mail for the part numbers.

     

     

    Thanks Phil! I spoke with one dealer (Reef Photo) who sells a custom Zen port just for the 16-35 II, but they confirmed that It was designed to be used with Canon housings and does not account for the extra length that the Metabones adaptor creates. I'm still waiting for a response from Ikelite on any possible way to make this setup work.

  4. Got the reply below from Ikelite. Great news, especially since this is the same extension they recommend for the Sony 16-35mm f/4, which I would like to switch to when the funds are available.

     

    Hi Robert,

    The 5510.28 Lens Extension and 5510.45 Modular 8” Dome can be used with the Metabones adapter and Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 lens by using an installation procedure which is slightly different from what we normally recommend:
    1. Install camera body in housing
    2. Attach lens extension to housing
    3. Attach lens to camera body
    4. Attach dome to lens extension
    LensProToGo has made a great video on how this lens gets installed:
    Regards,
    Jean

     

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.