Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon Key Mission 360?

Started by GrtDay ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Key Mission 360?

3 posts
  1. I just returned from Houston Camera Exchange where I met with the local Nikon Rep. I'm very interested in the new Nikon Keymission 360 for use in diving.

    The Rep was not well informed on the diving application so I was left to my own devices....and WetPixel.com

     

    So...this gizmo is waterproof to 100 ft and will do 360 photos and videos. One can do Bluetooth transmissions to ones phone or iPad and look at the images with a Nikon software viewer. The quality looks to be GREAT but I wonder what water will to the air-designed lens.

    Additionally, is there any NEED for a 360 image?

     

     

    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/action-cameras/action-accessories.page#watersport

     

    I'm really eager to hear other members thoughts on this system. I currently shoot a Nikon J-4 in the Nikon housing with the Nikon and Sea and Sea strobes. It looks 85% as good as a DSLR.

     

    Thanks to all in advance!

     

     

  2. Not good news:

     

    http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0919_action_01.htm

     

    "There are parts of the shooting/recording range that cannot be captured underwater because images are magnified more than they are on land. Therefore, full 360° content cannot be captured underwater. When the underwater lens protectors are attached, the protectors are reflected in images as black borders or bands. The camera may be unable to capture subjects positioned 60 cm (2 ft) or closer to the top, bottom, or either side of the camera because the subjects are not included in the angle of view (i.e., the area visible in the frame). Under some shooting conditions, the boundaries of the composited areas may be misaligned."

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. Not good news:

     

    http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/0919_action_01.htm

     

    "There are parts of the shooting/recording range that cannot be captured underwater because images are magnified more than they are on land. Therefore, full 360° content cannot be captured underwater. When the underwater lens protectors are attached, the protectors are reflected in images as black borders or bands. The camera may be unable to capture subjects positioned 60 cm (2 ft) or closer to the top, bottom, or either side of the camera because the subjects are not included in the angle of view (i.e., the area visible in the frame). Under some shooting conditions, the boundaries of the composited areas may be misaligned."

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

    Which I think is hilarious as they made this thing waterproof to relatively deep depths... But it's pointless... In addition, the image quality appears to be beyond total garbage. I was hoping it wasn't the case, but if you read the reviews on Amazon and other places it shows how big of a failure this product is. The only thing it excels at it looking cool.

    Edited by insomniac
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.