Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Diving with dolphins turtles and dugongs in Marsa Alam 4k

Started by Interceptor121 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving with dolphins turtles and dugongs in Marsa Alam 4k

11 posts
  1. Shot with Sony Rx100 Mark IV

    I forgot my lens adapter so I had to hand hold the wet lens sometimes this resulted in fringing or lack of contrast

    The dolphins and dugong are in free-diving. The dugong was at 10+ meters to the footage is a bit shaky as I was finning hard to get there!

    hope you like it

     

     

  2. Really great clips with the dolphins and dugongs. Some of those iMovie transitions look a bit non-contemporary / "childplay-ish". I'd consider trashing them for either just straight cross-resolves or some more professional looking stuff.

  3. I see a lot of purple water.

  4. Transition from imovie my daughter likes it. The purple water is mangrove filter. I should have used the magic filter on a different lens but I left it at home lol!

    Also moses it may help to calibrate your monitor

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Edited by Interceptor121
  5. The purple water is mangrove filter. I should have used the magic filter on a different lens but I left it at home lol!

     

    This mangrove filter - Would be interested to know if its the Magenta or Red filter you were using. As they are supplied by URPro.

     

    Would love to dive with the Dugongs! Nice!

     

    (I see purple water column on some of the clips too - this is on a calibrated 10bit monitor)

  6. It is actually a deeproof and it is not the same as urpro (that have a yellow cast) this one has a magenta cast. The issue is apparent when shooting upwards or backlit

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. It may be worth trying with a magenta filter rather than a red filter. It helped me getting the purple out on the AX100. I only get it now in certain lighting situations while being fairly deep >25m. Its often possible to correct in post as well.

  8. The correct answer is magic filter. I changed idea last minute to go for bayonet mount and ended up forgetting the adapter so I was hand holding the lens

    Edited by Interceptor121
  9. What are you using for focus on the RX100? Some of the dolphin shots seem a bit out of focus -- I'm guessing the autofocus has a hard time keeping up with that much movement?

     

    I also see a lot of purple in the water column in the scuba diving shots, but it should be possible to adjust that in post. I've done a bit of experimenting with magic filters on a Sony A7RII and manual white balance at depth (12-20 meters). On the A7RII, they aren't a magic bullet at all -- you still get plenty of purple in the water column because the Sony manual white balance tends to push things a bit too red. I've since acquired a URPRO red filter as well to compare, but I'm not holding my breath -- it's obviously a matter of taste, but for my taste, it seems Sony just can't deal well with ambient light below 10 meters, period.

  10. The dolphin are without wide angle this is the issue that creates focus hunting. For custom white balance it fails always so I use filter and auto however the filter i used is poor. I should have used the magic filter that does not present the purple issue. I use iMovie with no ability to change channel levels

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. I have done a re-edit removing the iMovie transitions and also leaving the colour as is in those parts where purple was coming out

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.