Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D500 with Tokina 100mm Macro

Started by Aussiebyron ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D500 with Tokina 100mm Macro

18 posts
  1. As a primary wide angle shooter it has been years since I have bought a new macro lens. To date I use the 60mm Nikkor and often add the Kenko 1.4x teleconverter for extra reach. I have had the older style Nikkor 105mm and sold it as I didnt get much as the AF hunted around. I have been looking at the Tokina 100mm macro as a replacement for the old 105mm for an upcomming macro trip to Tulamben in a few weeks and it has recieved a few good reviews for on land use with price point which suited me more as I do not do much macro photography and didnt want to invest more money in lenes that I may not use often.

     

    First thing that I noticed when I attached the Tokina 100mm to the D500 was how quick AF locked on and with the large amount of focus points available it was easy to set up focus on the small critters eyes/fave when composing a shot. Quick moving subjects when one wouldnt bother with before where now accessable as the Tokina and D500 combination works. This quick focus was a blessing as the local conditions where surgy and often hard to steady oneself for close up shots.

     

    The Tokina 100mm was housed behind the Aquatica AF macro port with extension #18462 (the same as I use with the 60mm and 1.4x TC combo). Shooting macro with Aquaview external viewfinder also makes ease of pin point focusing. I will be hopefully playing with the Aquatica +5 and +10 with Aqautica close up system when in Bali as I want to try my hand at getting some supermacro subjects like Shean the Sheep and friends. Itorch videopro 6 video lights used on low power provided focusing light.

     

    Here are some sample photos taken in the past couple of days with the Tokina 100mm and Nikon D500. Photos are straight from the camera only watermarked and resized to give an idea of performance before editing.

     

    Regards Mark

     

    post-23448-0-08170800-1478090102_thumb.jpg

    orangutan crab

    f14, 1/200th, ISO200

     

    post-23448-0-65655800-1478090373_thumb.jpg

    Yellow Boxfish

    f14 1/160th ISO160

    this guy was very flighty

     

     

     

  2. post-23448-0-98821700-1478090705_thumb.jpg

    Coffin Ray or Australian Numbfish eye. Species of Electric ray endemic to Australia

    f25 1/200th ISO100

  3. post-23448-0-14786600-1478091038_thumb.jpg

    Triplefin

    f20 1/160th ISO200

     

  4. post-23448-0-30658800-1478091905_thumb.jpg

    Scorpion Fish eye

    f25 1/320th ISO200

  5. post-23448-0-79624100-1478092254_thumb.jpg

    Triplefin

    f25 1/160th ISO160

  6. post-23448-0-74228400-1478092730_thumb.jpg

    Dendrodoris denisoni

    f22 1/250th ISO125

  7. Hi Mark,
    great shots!
    I have been using the Sigma 105mm OS on my D7100 and on my D500.
    Works great as well. Quick, and very sharp!
    Cannot post a pic of the combi, because unfortunatly my D500 and the Sigma 105mm and a Sigma 18 - 35mm f1,8 had been stolen last week, and i idiot havent saved my shots......
    Dont ask.....
    So i have a housing and no camera....
    Have to by the cam and the lens before next february for our next trip....

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  8. Hi Wolfgang,

     

    Normally its the other way around, people have the camera but still waiting for a housing. Your Camera body theft has also made me double check to see whats covered in my insurance policy just incase I have a similar experience. Got a trip to Bali in 4 weeks and this lens will get a work out for sure.

     

    Cheers Mark

  9. Is there a focus gear for that lens, or one for another that will work on it? IMO shooting a 100 or 105 with a strong wet diopter like the SMC is a bit easier using manual focus: set the lens, and move slightly until you get the focus where you want it -- of course with an external magnifying VF!

  10. Hi James,
    i do the same with my 70 - 180mm Nikon Micro Zoom, but its much slower...
    Get a point nearby to focus, and then move back and forward....

    post-41021-0-47601200-1478204997_thumb.jpg

    Was a D300 at that time...

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

    Edited by trimix125
  11. Is there a focus gear for that lens, or one for another that will work on it? IMO shooting a 100 or 105 with a strong wet diopter like the SMC is a bit easier using manual focus: set the lens, and move slightly until you get the focus where you want it -- of course with an external magnifying VF!

     

    James. I have to check to see if there is manual focus ring which can be used with the Tokina 100mm macro. I only bought the lens last week and only really shoot with AF when I do rarely shoot with a macro lens. Will find out how it goes with a +10 dioptre when I get the chance in the next few weeks.

     

    Regards Mark

  12. post-23448-0-90661500-1478734073_thumb.jpg

    Golden Egg Cowry

     

     

  13. post-23448-0-75865600-1478734279_thumb.jpg

    Wobbegong eye

     

    It wasnt until I had a look at actual pixel sized image that I noticed two Isopods on the Wobbegongs eye itself.

  14. Divervision sells Deeproof gear for S & S or F.I.T. Gear for Nexus, but I haven't found anything for Aquatica. Don't know what the difference in gear size is. Might be a lens with similar focus size that can be adapted with minor adjustment.

  15. Hi everyone

     

    Looking to Change out my 105D, could you tell me the total length at max 1:1. Just to measure up see if it will go into my existing ports.

     

    Thanks

    Craig

  16. Hi Craig,
    what lens are you going to use?
    Can offer dimensions for Nikon 60mm AF-S, Nikon 85mm AF-S, Nikon 70-180mm AF-D.
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  17. Hi Wolfgang

     

    It was the Tokina 100mm I was looking for, I managed to get the dimensions from TOKINA. THey have good customer service.

     

    Thanks for replying anyway.

     

    Craig

  18. Hi Craig,
    have now only the Nikon 60mm AFS & 85mm Macro.
    Or the 70 - 180mm Nikon Macro zoom.
    Regards,
    Wolfgang

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.