Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Vimeo Vs Youtube in 2017

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Vimeo Vs Youtube in 2017

11 posts
  1. Short version:

     

    Is a Vimeo plus account worthwile over a Youtube account?

     

    Long story:

     

    I'm a Vimeo Plus user since 2008 and during the years I have been trough countless unsolicited changes.

    Of course technology advances but frankly speaking I cannot call them "improvements". I think that all these updates were more focused on their business model that on user side. Of course their narrative is different.

     

    Their latest "improvement" was the so called "Adaptive Streaming". Without going into detail, it's something Youtube has from years and it was the main reason I chose Vimeo over

    YT years ago (except ads): as creator I'm in control of the streaming quality of my videos.

     

    The backlash from among pro and plus Vimeo users that’s arisen after the launch of this feature was unprecedented. A lot of pro and plus users menaced to not renew their subscriptions. Vimeo went over as usual. Actually the same during all these years. I felt more upset from their behavior than technical reason in itself. Being a paying customer and counting zero. Anyway their business seems in healthy condition hence they are right.

     

    IMHO at the moment I feel that the only difference between the two services are advertisements, 50 bucks/year and an amazing users community.

     

    I'm seriously thinking to copy all my content to my nearly abandoned YT channel leaving my Vimeo downgrading to a basic account. It's a shame because during all these years around my account I created a network of friends.

     

    What are your thoughts?

    Which is better and why?

    Do yo still think as today Vimeo has a better streaming quality over Youtube?

     

    PS

    I'm not able to judge a pro account because is out of my scope as budget and features.

     

     

  2. İ agree from a to z what you have written here

    In fact i stopped my pro account last month with vimeo and than they started to send me offers like 15 percent cheaper.for the same account..may be it was a campaign but i didnt like it that i have been offered cheaper options for something i have been paying for years

    And once i quit the pro account and became regular member they deleted some of my movies as well (not deleted but they are not visible in my movies anymore I HOPE)

    plus, one of my movies have about 8 000 000 clicks on it but i havent benefit it at all , i always wonder if it was in you tube would i be paid for clicks after a certain amount???

    thanks

    Lutfu

  3. İ agree from a to z what you have written here

    In fact i stopped my pro account last month with vimeo and than they started to send me offers like 15 percent cheaper.for the same account..may be it was a campaign but i didnt like it that i have been offered cheaper options for something i have been paying for years

    The cure is worse than the disease

     

    And once i quit the pro account and became regular member they deleted some of my movies as well (not deleted but they are not visible in my movies anymore I HOPE)

    plus, one of my movies have about 8 000 000 clicks on it but i havent benefit it at all , i always wonder if it was in you tube would i be paid for clicks after a certain amount???

    This is the reason why I have to decide before my current subscription expires.

  4. ...

    plus, one of my movies have about 8 000 000 clicks on it but i havent benefit it at all , i always wonder if it was in you tube would i be paid for clicks after a certain amount???

    ...

     

    You can monetize right away as long as you meet the criteria. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/97527

  5. Nick,

    You were on YouTube from the beginning.

    What are the reasons?

    How do you find the overal streaming quality?

  6. The linked video seems to be gone?

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  7. Nick,

    You were on YouTube from the beginning.

    What are the reasons?

    How do you find the overal streaming quality?

     

    Started posting on YouTube in 2006 and became a partner in 2009. I've stayed with them since because I get paid, because I like how ubiquitous YouTube is, so my videos get seen by more people, and because they have loads of features that the other platforms don't have. I'm happy enough with the streaming quality. The biggest issue I face with YouTube is that Facebook suppresses posts and comments that contain YouTube videos or links because they want their own video platform to dominate. I suppose they may well suppress Vimeo the same.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  8. Interesting discussion. As someone starting to upload more content online, I've been contemplating the Vimeo Pro account vs. YouTube question as well.

     

    For monetization purposes, how is Vimeo's model? I would think YouTube has the potential to expose your content to a wider audience -- not that the audience for underwater video is all that wide to begin with, I guess.

  9. I'm in the same boat. At the last renewal I let my Vimeo Pro lapse, and I'm contemplating to upgrade again or not. Vimeo is a nicer and a little more serious platform I think, not full of cats and all kinds of vlogs/blogs and the like that you find on YouTube. The users of Vimeo are maybe more into the movies and the content on a different level, not just killing time.

     

    On the other hand the exposure is a lot greater on YouTube if you are looking for the most views possible and maybe earn a penny or two from ads. I would presume a lot of people browsing for videos online don't even know what Vimeo is and don't visit, but "everybody" knows what YouTube is and uses it almost daily.

  10. ...For monetization purposes, how is Vimeo's model? I would think YouTube has the potential to expose your content to a wider audience -- not that the audience for underwater video is all that wide to begin with, I guess.

     

    It can be wide if you get lucky with a formula that connects with non-divers and makes them want to share. That was originally just a stock footage screener but I added the music, synced the clips to it and got lucky.

     

    It should be noted that you need a lot of views to make worthwhile money from YouTube ads, and the revenue from YouTube Red (paid subscribers) is still microscopic. On the other hand I've always assumed that very very few people would be prepared to actually part with cash to watch these type of videos. I did think about asking $99 per view (or download) for my long documentaries. I might try that for the next one, or offer an extended "director's cut".

  11. Time is running...

     

    post-32954-0-93136600-1480784891_thumb.png

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.