Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Behavior question on remora

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Behavior question on remora

6 posts
  1. Just back from a trip to the outer reefs of Belize. We saw remora attaching or trying to on stoplight parrotfish. It was repeated on several dives, both Turneffe and Lighthouse reefs and only on those parrotfish, final stage. Two photos are below.

    Sometimes the remora was not attached and the parrotfish was swimming erratically, seemingly trying to elude his 'guest'. The remora would slip from side to side, trying to stay on the side away from the diver.

    Sometimes the remora was attached and on the bottom of the parrotfish.

     

    Sharks were present essentially all Lighthouse dive and no signs of remora on the ones I saw.

     

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Belize-Lighthouse-and-Turneffe/i-W2SKqS6

     

    http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Underwater/Belize-Lighthouse-and-Turneffe/i-XkpNKd6

     

    Is this something normal? In 25+ yrs of diving, it was first for me.

    I did not where to post this on the site. If I selected wrong, my apology.

     

    Diver Dave

  2. Hi Dave,

     

    I certainly have never seen this in other parts of the Caribbean and I never heard about it before. So thanks for the post. As to what it means ... just one more underwater riddle that keeps diving so interesting.

     

    Bart

  3. Yes, I saw this in Cuba recently, with a yellowtail parrotfish and a sharksucker. I have a picture somewhere....

  4. Hi Dave

    Seen this a few times but not in the Caribbean. Most recently in Lembeh attached to a bluespotted ray and in Anilao attached to a fringelip mullet. Neither were very happy!

  5. I have video of Echeneis naucrates on a feeding Scarus rubroviolaceus and separately on a sleeping Scarus frenatus from the Simlian Islands. The parrotfish seemed happy enough.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.