Hello to everyone,
I am writing in order to seek some advice regarding a particular task I am working on. As a side part of my research, I need to take high quality pictures of the sea ice sub surface from a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV). The aim is to be able (at least try) to capture the relief of the underside of the ice. It is quite challenging, and I lack some expertise in the underwater photography perspective, any advice from some underwater veteran would be extremely appreciated!! I would need your help mostly for choosing the camera and some clue on the housing and lens port.
As you can imagine:
- the camera is upward looking,
- the under ice is very low lit,
- the images arise from transmitted light trough the ice (thus not reflected),
- imaging the under ice has very high dynamic range; light varies a lot in small spatial scales because of the overlying snow
- the ROV is moving so we need fast shutter speeds
- we want to cover as much area possible per frame
- the ROV with the camera will be approximately 1-2 meters from the target thus the the focal range is quite narrow
- we would like to have the images as geometrically correct as possible
- very low temperatures
- we would hope not to need active light sources, but advice's with/or and without are very much appreciated!
HAHA! Well i know it sounds that we want it all and it is kind of impossible but if you have any ideas advice for the idea gear please let me know you opinion.
So far, I think that the SONY a 7s is the better option for this task due to its low light capability and is very compact and light (mirror less) and is very fast! However which lens? What do you think?
Here some pictures of how its looks like under the ice and what is the target for inspiration:
Thank you all for your attention hope I can get your precious advice!