Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

First images

Started by Terrierist ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

First images

12 posts
  1. So I've ventured underwater with a camera at the excellent Capernwray dive site here in the UK - thanks to Adam and Carol, it is a lovely spot.

     

    My equipment and motives: Canon G1X in a WPDC-44 Canon housing, strobe is a Sea & Sea YS-02 triggered by fibre optic cable. I have the flash diffuser fitted to the housing. My images are for my own memories and for our club (Liverpool City Divers) Facebook page and website.

     

    I am quite happy with the image of the Perch and Brown Trout, they were stumble across images, the images a little closer to the surface I'm not so happy with - your advice and thoughts please.

     

    I am using the flash on the Canon to trigger the strobe, am I right in saying that I should blank the camera flash off as much as possible to reduce backscatter? The area these shots were taken in is a training area and had quite a number of students in, visibility was reduced with lots of particles suspended in 2 metres of water.

     

    Would it be advisable for me to tape off / paint the diffuser to stop light emitting from it as much as possible?

     

    Thanks in advance.

     

    Kev

     

     

     

    IMG_6543-L.jpg

     

    IMG_6536-L.jpg

     

    IMG_6551-L.jpg

     

    IMG_6514-L.jpgIMG_6519-L.jpg

  2. Brrrrr, that water looks cold!

     

    Getting good shots of divers is, I've found, one of the hardest things to capture underwater. You have to find people who are prepared to spend the time and energy posing ("modelling") so that you get shots with their eyes open, feet/fins/legs nicely posed, bubble streams and, a vague, happy, interested smile on their faces. Have a look at the "ascent" pics and you decide if your models are doing their best for you.... :fool:

     

    On your three shots, I think they lack a little impact as on the two group shots you can't see anyone's eyes. The diver on the line could work better if you edit/crop out the hands at the top of the image - and see if you can lighten the diver's face so you can see his eyes - but there may be a bubble across his right eye (see what I mean about difficult?!). Could you get a bit of shadow detail using, say, Lightroom? There's a lot of "black".

     

    On your single diver shot, you might try lowering the Brightness a bit to take some of the glare/reflection of the reflective tape on his dry suit and the octopus hose. And, sorry to say this, but pics of diving models in black masks, in my view, hardly ever work! The eyes just don't look right.

     

    Sorry Terrriesrist, this is all a bit counsel of perfection. As I say, getting good pics of divers just isn't easy - especially in those conditions: cold, darkish, black dry suits, iffy viz/turbidity.

     

    My experience is that if you don't go about "diver shots" in a fairly calculating, deliberate way, you generally end up with an image which is probably not what you are after. Try working with one "model" and explain what you are looking for before you start the dive. Then use some signals when you start shooting. Take LOTS of shots as you can bet your last pound that there will be closed eyes, bubbles over the mask, snot dribbling, fish in the way, weird looking ears etc etc. Multiple divers is a nightmare.

     

    As for taping strobes etc, you get backscatter (forgive me, granny, if I'm teaching you too suck eggs), because you are lighting the particulant in the water that is between you and the subject. So you have to set the strobes in a way that they light the subject but not the water in a direct line between you and the subject. Taping would make no difference. So, for example, the shot of the diver on the line: you might try having the strobe at approx 45 degrees to the line between you and the diver - and as close to the driver as you can get it without, obviously, the strobe getting in to the image. This should reduce the backscatter - but, quite possibly, not eliminate it (You can use Lightroom to edit some of it out). Remember that the strobe will, realistically, only light a foot or so of the area it is aimed at. Quite often, especially at that relatively shallow depth, it may well be better to orientate the driver so that he is facing the sunlight and use ambient light to light him with the strobe then doing less of the work.

     

    I hope this is of some help......

    Edited by TimG
  3. Brrrrr, that water looks cold!

     

    Getting good shots of divers is, I've found, one of the hardest things to capture underwater. You have to find people who are prepared to spend the time and energy posing ("modelling") so that you get shots with their eyes open, feet/fins/legs nicely posed, bubble streams and, a vague, happy, interested smile on their faces. Have a look at the "ascent" pics and you decide if your models are doing their best for you.... :fool:

     

    On your three shots, I think they lack a little impact as on the two group shots you can't see anyone's eyes. The diver on the line could work better if you edit/crop out the hands at the top of the image - and see if you can lighten the diver's face so you can see his eyes - but there may be a bubble across his right eye (see what I mean about difficult?!). Could you get a bit of shadow detail using, say, Lightroom? There's a lot of "black".

     

    On your single diver shot, you might try lowering the Brightness a bit to take some of the glare/reflection of the reflective tape on his dry suit and the octopus hose. And, sorry to say this, but pics of diving models in black masks, in my view, hardly ever work! The eyes just don't look right.

     

    Sorry Terrriesrist, this is all a bit counsel of perfection. As I say, getting good pics of divers just isn't easy - especially in those conditions: cold, darkish, black dry suits, iffy viz/turbidity.

     

    My experience is that if you don't go about "diver shots" in a fairly calculating, deliberate way, you generally end up with an image which is probably not what you are after. Try working with one "model" and explain what you are looking for before you start the dive. Then use some signals when you start shooting. Take LOTS of shots as you can bet your last pound that there will be closed eyes, bubbles over the mask, snot dribbling, fish in the way, weird looking ears etc etc. Multiple divers is a nightmare.

     

    As for taping strobes etc, you get backscatter (forgive me, granny, if I'm teaching you too suck eggs), because you are lighting the particulant in the water that is between you and the subject. So you have to set the strobes in a way that they light the subject but not the water in a direct line between you and the subject. Taping would make no difference. So, for example, the shot of the diver on the line: you might try having the strobe at approx 45 degrees to the line between you and the diver - and as close to the driver as you can get it without, obviously, the strobe getting in to the image. This should reduce the backscatter - but, quite possibly, not eliminate it (You can use Lightroom to edit some of it out). Remember that the strobe will, realistically, only light a foot or so of the area it is aimed at. Quite often, especially at that relatively shallow depth, it may well be better to orientate the driver so that he is facing the sunlight and use ambient light to light him with the strobe then doing less of the work.

     

    I hope this is of some help......

    Tim.

     

    Thanks so much for being objective and informative, a great answer that has helped me a lot! Water wasn't too bad - 10 degrees at 17 Metres where the Trout was.

     

    My main point wasn't about the strobe flash, but the camera's own flash. I appreciate I have to have this triggering to fire the strobe, but, can the camera's built in flash have a detrimental effect? I can stop a lot of the light from it by either taping the housing of the camera or the diffuser that sits on the housing - essentially blanking the camera flash off and using only the strobe at 45 degrees as you mention.

     

    Thanks

     

    Kev

  4. Sorry, Kev. I'm guilty of reading too quickly.....

     

    Yeah, the camera's strobe could add to the backscatter etc. As you say, as long as there's sufficient light output to trigger the strobe, you could blank out the camera flash. You can test this in a nice warm room away from the delights of Capenwray.

  5. Sorry, Kev. I'm guilty of reading too quickly.....

     

    Yeah, the camera's strobe could add to the backscatter etc. As you say, as long as there's sufficient light output to trigger the strobe, you could blank out the camera flash. You can test this in a nice warm room away from the delights of Capenwray.

     

     

    No bother Tim.

     

    Been a mod/admin myself so appreciate the amount of posts etc.

     

    Will try that out next time and block the camera's own flash out, your advice is more than welcome - I'll keep going to Capernwray though!

    Edited by Terrierist
  6.  

     

    - I'll keep going to Capernwray though!

     

    You can have my old membership card too..... :lol2:

  7. I'd take that over the Emptyhad part of your profile! :)

  8. Ahhh, you can always tell a Scouser. But you can't tell him much, right? :lol2:

  9. Ahhh, you can always tell a Scouser. But you can't tell him much, right? :lol2:

    Hahahahahaha! A Scouser born in Lancashire - You've adapted that saying from the Yorkshire version! :notworthy:

  10. This fish portrait and first diver look good for a first outing, so well done. However it looks like you might be using auto exposure on the camera and/or flash settings - correct me if wrong - and that may be why the subjects in the shots closer to the surface are under exposed. The camera is metering for the big bright area that is the surface.

     

    You may not be ready or willing to go full manual and that's OK. I don't know your camera but assuming you are using TTL for the flash via fibre optic, can you set the camera to auto, and flash to "fill"? And maybe switch metering to either spot or centre weighted?

  11. This fish portrait and first diver look good for a first outing, so well done. However it looks like you might be using auto exposure on the camera and/or flash settings - correct me if wrong - and that may be why the subjects in the shots closer to the surface are under exposed. The camera is metering for the big bright area that is the surface.

     

    You may not be ready or willing to go full manual and that's OK. I don't know your camera but assuming you are using TTL for the flash via fibre optic, can you set the camera to auto, and flash to "fill"? And maybe switch metering to either spot or centre weighted?

    Thanks for the message. Canon GX1 Compact in a Canon housing, strobe is Sea&Sea YS02 which doesn't have TTL. The strobe picks up from a fibreoptic cable that is velcro'd to the housing. I'm using aperture priority and using ISO between 100 -200. Thanks for the tips on metering, it is something I have yet to fully grasp.

     

    The Sea & Sea only has two settings, power and full flash / pre-flash.

     

    Sorry if I'm not being too clear!

  12. I understand a little better now.

     

    Your strobe is manual, so forget what I said about TTL. But I think it does have some sort of a power dial, correct? If so you'd probably want it set as high as possible (and be within 0.5 m) for backlit subjects.

     

    As for setting the flash to fill, i meant within the *camera* settings, not on the flash. That will reduce the power of the camera's on-board flash and maybe reduce backscatter. But better if you can block it somehow.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.