Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Upgrade advice

Started by Big_Bald_Biker ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Upgrade advice

2 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    I am currently running a compact camera system

     

    RX100iii based with ikelite housing and two Sea&Sea YS03 strobes. I also have a wide angle wet lens.

     

    I am struggling with the setup in particular getting the exposure correct. The strobes are auto only and connected via fiber optic.

     

    My questions are, is the setup sound and if so any advice on setting it up better or have I mismatched somehow. Also considering if an upgrade makes sense and if so where to invest first. I am thinking mirrorless and housing but then are the strobes up to it?

     

    Very confident/competent photographer above the water but I guess I don't use strobes that much

     

    Thanks in advance for your advice

     

    BBB

     

     

     

     

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. well I would suggest you replace the strobes first, and try shooting manual...RX100 is an excellent camera.with awesome low light capabilities. Have m4/3 myself (GH2) but my gf shoots RX100III and she often gets better pictures than i do.. (or it might be that i am crap :D )..Perhaps try this first, unless you have a wad of cash that you really need to get rid off...as new strobes+camera+housing+ports+lenses setup will be tad on the expensive side...like everything underwater :s

    And if after strobe upgrade you still want something bigger, then you keep the strobes and just get camera/housing etc.

    Another thing to consider - not sure how do you feel about Ike housing but (again, based on my gf experience), she has replaced it with Nauticam after the first dive trip...apparently better ergonomics (buttons spacing etc mainly)

     

    Also, are you shooting RAW? Did you try to correct the exposure in Lightroom ? (silly question, i know ;) )

     

    In addition, perhaps even before you upgrade anything, read a bit more - can recommend Alex's "Underwater Photography Masterclass" book. (http://underwaterphotographybook.com/). Really handy and full of all kind of tips not just for DSLRs but for m4/3 and compacts as well.

     

    Cheers,

    m

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.