Skip to content

Classifieds / Archived topic

Fish eye

Started by postyjoe ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish eye

7 posts
  1. What would be the best or best affordable canon full frame fish eye lens ?

    For those half halfs.

     

    And anyone selling one?

     

    Cheers Joe

  2. Check out the Sigma 15mm, Joe.

     

    I've been using one on my Nikon D800 (full frame) for the last few years and it is now my automatic go-to WA lens.

     

    They are, by my experience, much easier to house/port than rectilinear lenses and terrific for shots with models or close-ups of reef sticky-out bits, e.g. Gorgonians, soft corals. And half/halfs.

     

    Definitely worth a look

  3. thanks mate i have looked at those

    i do have a 16-35f2.8

    i was looking for a little wider like the canon 8-15 but a little pricey at the moment

    has anyone used one of these on a 5diii (Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX NH Fisheye AF 10-17mm f/3.5 - 4.5)

    and managed to get a zoom gear working on a Aquatica housing

    ​i had it recommend by a pro surf photographer but not sure its the exact one he was talking about.

     

    ​i live remotely so don't have a chance of checking anything out in stores

    cheers Joe

  4. Hi starfish,

    I have a Tokina 10-17 for Canon for salle.

    If you are interested please contact me...lens is like new...with box and everything...

  5. Joe,

     

    The Tokina is for cropped sensor cameras. It will vignette with your 5D Mkiii...

     

    All the best

     

    Adam

  6. Thanks for the help

    I have a bid on a cheep secondhand sigma 15mm

     

    I'll see how it goes

    But I will keep saving for a 8-15 also

     

    Cheers Joe

  7. As Adam says, the Tokina 10-17 vignette's on a 5D, but as it zooms this dissapears (think its about 15/16mm) so is useable. Not really tried for ages as I use the sigma at 15mm for WA.

     

    Its also worth noting that there is a Tokina WITHOUT lens petals/hood that may work throughout the zoom range on a FF, but not 100% on this. In fact i think the 'NH' bit of the lens you reference is the 'no hood' version. Perhaps :) Its also possible that this is strictly an EF-S lens, again double check. Mine has petals and is fine on a Canon 5D2.

     

    What is often overlooked with the Tokina and a 5d is the use of a TC 1.4x - I use a TC (Kenko) with a tokina on a 5D2, at which point the Tokina is useable throughout the 14-24 range. Obviously you lose the fisheye effect / less distortion at the top end, and perhaps not what you are looking for for splits.

     

    FYI I also use an Aquatica, and use/own the Aquatica zoom gear for this setup. I've not had much opportunity to use this, but have recently done a days diving with this and a 4" minidome (CFWA stuff). I did find that the zoom gear slipped after a couple of dives, so I need to work out a solution for this (probably a bit of tape) and/or speak to Aquatica. It is designed for this setup so I am sure will work. My issue was probably user error, and more than likely a lumpy speedboat thats dislodged it slightly (the site was 50km out and nowhere soft/safe for it to sit). Just meant I was stuck at 23mm or so unless I opened the housing.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.