Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica gh4

Started by blueline ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica gh4

6 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I am looking to replace my old Sea & Sea MDX 50D DSLR setup (interesting in buying a used GH4 camera and an Aquatica or Subal housing). Do any of you have any experience with these housings? The Aquatica housings are significantly discounted at some online stores. In looking at various pictures on line, I don't really like the coarse look of the Aquatica housings. Even the buttons and port openings are coated with that paint. Does that seal without issues or hold over time? My Sea & Sea housing has taken a beating from shore diving but still looks pretty good with few scratches(no floods either). I'm also concerned about the latching system being plastic(?).

     

    I also came across to this video on YouTube.

     

     

    The Subal housings look better INMO(more polished/refined), but again I've never seen one up close so I can't tell.

     

    Any suggestions/ideas would greatly be appreciated.

     

    Thanks,

    Blueline

  2. Hi Blueline

     

    I've had 5 Subal housings for the Nikon CP5000, D100, D200, D300 and now D800. I was recommended to them by their dealer in Australia, Sea Optics and have never owned any other housing.

     

    Some thoughts: they are very well built with terrific engineering; the mechanisms, for me, run as smooth as silk. You can "feel" the release point on the shutter and F stops. They wear well - none of mine ever looked battered or bruised. I have never not been able to use a camera control with ease. Easy to maintain. The o-ring grove is simple to use and the locking mechanism seems, to me, secure and straightforward. I've had a couple of heart stopping moments where a port has rotated a little on the way to or from the dive site (but never disengaged or leaked) - but the later models now have a port lock. I've fitted a leak detector to mine (easy to do). Installing the camera is straight-forward. On the D800 housing I had to make a slight adjustment to one of the activator levers to get it to fit properly: this was easy to do and I'm no techie.

     

    The cons: expensive and, sadly, like all housings they do not hold their value!

     

    I've always been delighted with mine.

  3. Expensive yes like all other alum housings but I see these discounted lately, so I am puzzled as to why and reluctant to commit to buying one(will need to invest on camera, ports, lenses etc..since I'll be moving from a different brand/system). Thanks for the info though.

     

    Also one not so good review at this online retailer. That's why I asked..

     

    http://www.housingcamera.com/id3099-aquatica-housing-4-panasonic-gh4.html

     

    "Solid but not perfect.
    Ok...

    During the first setup of the camera inside of the housing I didn't notice that one of the metallic pins of the ON/OFF selector from the inside of the housing gets against the ON/OFF plastic selector of the camera... long story short... when I open the housing to retrieve the camera I notice I couldn't turn of the camera, the switch

    leveler of the housing was "like" doing anything... not moving anything at all. So I open the housing and notice that the ON/OFF switch of my camera its broken.
    The worst of it is that is an error from the factory. "

    Edited by blueline
  4. Have you considered the Nauticam GH4 housing. Very well thought out and constructed housing.

  5. Yes I have and am looking into Nauticam housings too. I Just thought the Aquatica GH4's looked more rugged and are significantly discounted(at least lately).

  6. Hi Blueline,

     

    I just want to clarify something about the paint used on our Aquatica housings, it is a electro static (powder coat) and yes it does have a wrinkled texture to it. Please note that the push buttons and all sealing surfaces are masked off before painting. What you might see as black on the port opening is actually the black anodize that is done to all our housings prior to the top paint coat. With the extra paint on top of the anodizing, our housings will last a lifetime. This extra protection makes them very robust, and this is why they are very popular with rental houses.

     

    The latch system comes from our Amphibico line and has been used on thousands of Amphibico and Aquatica housings, they have proven to be very reliable.

     

    Thank you,

     

    Carolina

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.