Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Any live view users?

Started by mmakay ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Any live view users?

10 posts
  1. As live view focusing continues to improve, I was was wondering if anyone is using live view instead of the viewfinder for the majority of their underwater photography?

  2. Occasionally, It does make my Nikon D7000 rather slow to operate. Waiting for it to focus the slow way and then to go through all of the cycle.
    And the live view AF works very slowly unless you have lots of light on the subject.
    On the upside, when my arms are long enough it does allow you to move the camera in closer to the subject and you get a rough view of all that your eventual photo might have.

  3. Nope, I don't use it on my D800. I want the instant response of the optical viewfinder (and I have a 45 degree magnifier) and know when I press the shutter release the shutter fires instantaneously.

  4. I have found that live view is useful on night dives when it is hard to find my 45 degree viewfinder in the dark.

    It allows me to see where my lens is pointing, then I use my viewfinder.

     

    Elmer

    Edited by eyu
  5. I prefer using the view finder on my Oly EM5. As mentioned above, the screen can be useful to sneak the camera closer to shy subjects.

  6. Interesting point about locating the finder on night dives ... never thought of that. I just ordered my 1st SLR housing, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

  7. Interesting point about locating the finder on night dives ... never thought of that. I just ordered my 1st SLR housing, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

    I've got a 45 degree on my Subal housing - like Elmer - and just love it. They're brilliant! I think Elmer is referring to the difficulty of sometimes finding the subject through a 45 degree finder - not findng the finder itself. Right Elmer?

     

    The 45 degree angle sometimes makes locating the subject tricky especially in the blue - so I could see (or not see in this case!) this could be a little more of a problem at night.

     

    Just a thought!

  8. Tim,

     

    Upon occasions I have found it difficult for my eye to find the 45 degree viewfinder in the pitch dark of a night dive.

    By turning on live view I can see where my lens is pointing and also orientate my eye to view the viewfinder.

    With our Subal's it is so easy to switch on/off live view with ones thumb.

     

    Elmer

  9. Tim,

     

    Upon occasions I have found it difficult for my eye to find the 45 degree viewfinder in the pitch dark of a night dive.

    By turning on live view I can see where my lens is pointing and also orientate my eye to view the viewfinder.

    With our Subal's it is so easy to switch on/off live view with ones thumb.

     

    Elmer

     

    Oh right! Fair enough, Elmer. That's a pretty imaginative use of it :notworthy:

     

    I take that back, Mickey!

  10. I've never had any issue finding my 45-degree viewfinder on a night dive. Finding critters, especially tiny stuff like pygmy seahorses, is another matter haha!

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.