Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 lens with 8 inch Nauticam dome

Started by terenceg ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 lens with 8 inch Nauticam dome

13 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    Just got into wide angle photography and my setup is as follow

     

    D750

    Nauticam Housing

    8 inch dome

    10-17 Tokina Lens

     

    Did a few test shot at my Condo's pool and found out that when i zoom to fish eye, i get this squarish effect from the lens hood. instead of this circular photo i took from my fren's fb Jerome Kim. Any experts here have any advice or solution to this?

     

    Appreciate any suggestions at all :notworthy:

    post-34941-0-73419300-1483422472_thumb.jpg

    post-34941-0-31464700-1483422651_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi Terence

     

    I'd suggest the main problem is that your Nikon D750 is a full-frame camera (an FX) whilst the Tokina 10-17 is a DX lens.

     

    This means that as you zoom out to the lens' wider zoom settings - so towards the 10mm range - the area the lens can see isn't large enough to fill what the sensor registers. So what you are now seeing is the frame of the lens: effectively the petal shaped lens protection around the end of the lens.

     

    Folks usually don't want the framing effect and so switch to an FX lens - say the Nikkor 16-35mm or the Sigma 15mm or Nikkor 16mm. But I believe you can also "remove" the framing petals, i.e. machine them off (pretty drastic!). I will let others comment on how you can do this. I've also seen somewhere that Tokina have a petalless version - but, again, I'll defer to others. Perhaps this is how the Jerome version was achieved? Does the Jerome lens look different to your Tokina at the business end? Have the lens petals been removed?

     

    The Tokina 10-17 is terrific on a DX sensor camera - such as say the D700x series - but not so much on the FX cameras.

    Edited by TimG
  3. Tim has the correct answer.

    To convert my 10.5 Nikon fish eye lens to give a full circle image on my D750, I used a Dremel tool to remove the lens hood.

    It makes the lens almost unsellable but it does give me a full circle image.

    If you do decide to modify the lens think about it for a day or two and proceed carefully. You can easily convert your precious lens into someone else's collection of spare parts.

  4. Tim has the correct answer.

    To convert my 10.5 Nikon fish eye lens to give a full circle image on my D750, I used a Dremel tool to remove the lens hood.

    It makes the lens almost unsellable but it does give me a full circle image.

    If you do decide to modify the lens think about it for a day or two and proceed carefully. You can easily convert your precious lens into someone else's collection of spare parts.

     

    You're a brave man, Mr R-B. I can imagine there must have been one or two heart-stopping moments. Or you have an incredibly steady hand!

  5. Thanks Tim, after much consideration and advices frm fellow peers, is safer and cheaper to get a fix lens as those you suggested than completely destroying my tokina. Hahah cheers guys and happy new year

  6. Thanks Tim, after much consideration and advices frm fellow peers, is safer and cheaper to get a fix lens as those you suggested than completely destroying my tokina. Hahah cheers guys and happy new year

     

    My pleasure, Terence. A wise call, I'd say!

     

    I've found the Sigma 15mm terrific and it's much easier to house than the Nikkor 16-35 which, for me, definitely needs a 230 domeport. The only drawback with the Sigma is if you want to shoot bigger fish that won't let you get close - or you don't want to get close! For them the Nikkor is much better.

  7. Just an update !!! i found this

     

    Tokina 10-17mm f3.5/4.5 DX Type II Nikon Fisheye Zoom Lens

     

    post-34941-0-18412300-1483578958_thumb.jpg

  8. Ah ha! The fabled petalless Tokina 10-17!?

     

    Unicorn, anyone? :crazy:

  9. And keep in mind that he lens is still not a ff lens.

     

     

    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  10. I have been wondering how people make these perfect circular images. If i understand this post correctly, you just need lens like the tokina 10-17 without the petals, and then use it at its widest angle on a FF camera?

    I have the same tokina without the petals, and i have considered changing up to a FF camera......

  11. So if I am using a D7000 with this exact lens that has the hood attached, will I experience the same issue with the OPs original pic above? Should I be using a hoodless Tokina 10-17 lens instead?

  12. Capt Chad, you will have no trouble with a standard tokina 10-17 lens with the D7000, which I use as well. The D7000 is a DX camera and the lens is designed for such a camera. You can also use domes in the 4 inch sizing with that setup. There are several mfg companies with small domes for that lens and camera setup. Its quite compact for travel and very nice for close focus wide angle. The lens will focus all the way down to the dome.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.