Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Investing in your portfolio

Started by Wildwind ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Investing in your portfolio

3 posts
  1. Hello

     

    My name is Jimmy and I'm a filmmaker as well as photographer that is aiming on focusing my photography on underwater. I've been taking UW photos with my DSLR housing for only about 2 years now during about 15 dives and a bunch of snorkelling including a Basking Shark expedition. Obviously I'm still starting out but passionate about building my portfolio up [ www.jimmyfrancisphoto.com ] (sorry for the plug)

     

    I'm not very interested in chasing magazines for photo sales or making it my main income. I do it because a) I love it! and b) I eventually hope to sell some photos as Fine Art Prints mainly to pay for new trips and vacations.

     

    A thought I've been struggling with is how much money is a reasonable investment per usable portfolio picture? I know there are a hundred things that cost money but if we are to deduct items like flights and equipment. What do you think you pay (in terms of dives/expeditions and travels within the dive region) for a picture that makes the cut of your own portfolio? It would also be interesting to know what your goals are with those pictures.

     

    Obviously it can be hard to say but for myself, I think I've spent somewhere around an average of 60€ to 100€ per picture that I'm satisfied with. I also, naturally, value certain subjects higher than others.

    I understand that we all have different budgets we put on this but it would be interesting to hear some other photographers numbers since I have no idea whatsoever if I'm being optimistic/pessimistic ect with my investments.

     

    Thank You

    Edited by Wildwind
  2. Interesting thought, Jimmy.

     

    I'm not sure I want to think too hard about it: I'd have an even bigger shock. I must have about 4000 keepers - say, 1500 in my "portfolio" (i.e. happy to show them off). Cost per image? With recycles, upgrades and sales of gear included, I think you'd be about right with that €60-€100 an image figure. If I really depressed myself and though even harder about it, maybe a bit more. OK, could be a lot more. :crazy:

     

    "Investing" in your portfolio eh? I wish!

  3. Thanks for the reply.

     

    Haha, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. First of all hats off to the images you've created. Saw some on your site and there is some amazing work there. Also, I am assuming it's a passion and we all put money into the actual experiences and not only to get images out of it. However interesting to try and spot the financial side of it as it is somewhat of a pricey interest we have.

     

    Do you make money back from your images, if you don't mind me asking?

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.