Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

144 Meg File vs 6 Meg File for Printing

Started by Detonate ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

144 Meg File vs 6 Meg File for Printing

6 posts
  1. 144 Meg File vs 6 Meg File for Printing

    I'm about to take 10 photo's over to have printed. While outputting the RAW files to .TIFF's I'm having a hard time deciding on what options to include.

     

    If I leave the file the default size of 3008 x 2000 pixels in a 8 bit format and output the LZW compressed TIFF file is about 6 megs.

     

    Now if I max the interpolation to 6144 x 4085 and change to 16 bit format and save the LZW compressed TIFF file is a measly 144 megs.

     

    Which means I can fit a whole 4 photo's per CD for printing.

     

    Will I even be able to notice the difference in an 8 x 12 print?

     

    Suggestions?

  2. I'd use the 8-bit depth, no compression, 3008 x 2000. Or maybe interpolate a little, but only to 3600 x 2400, giving you 300 ppi.

     

    AFAIK, there's no point going back to 16 bit... RGB output devices operate in an 8-bit color space, and if you have a file that started as 8, then covert to 16, you're just making up the extra bits (as you are when interpolating). I'm happy to be corrected on this by other more knowledgable people though.

     

    Your 3008 x 2000 pixel file will give you 250 ppi on the 8 inch side... most prints from 220 ppi upwards look pretty good. If you're printing to something like an Aladdin, then 220 to 300 ppi is really all you want. The 6144 x 4085 is giving you 510 ppi, the printer is going to just interpolate down to 300 again, and then you've got an upsample + a down sample going on, one of which you have no control over.

  3. Hi Jim,

     

    Where are you printing? If it's Fuji/Noritsu 330 or 350 aladdin then it will do 300 dpi up to 8x12. It will only accept 8-bit files and it will not recognize 16-bit tiffs, only 8-bit tiffs will work.

     

    Like Craig said, size it for 300 dpi. Use Image Size and set the method to bicubic smoother (I think???). Then after you upsize, do a very agressive USM.

     

    Good luck!

    James

  4. Ahhhh crap... While waiting on a reply I just reprocessed all my images. I converted most of them to around 5000ish pixels or so and then cropped them a bit.

     

    I'm having them printed at Arlington Camera. No idea what they use as far as a printer...

     

    Here is there processing info

  5. Where are you getting them printed and on what type of printer? and what size of print?

     

    On a Lightjet, 307ppi is as good as it gets. If you are at least at 150ppi for your size print, interpolating a higher ppi won't gain much, if anything.

     

    Craig's info is right on. I keep everything in 16 bit while I'm editing. Then convert and save to 8 bit TIFF uncompressed. The file size is unimportant. If it costs you an extra buck or two for CD's in order to get a better $40 print, so be it. Confirm file handling specifications, including color space/ICC profile, with your printer . The larger the print, the more sharpening you need. It may look crunchy on computer. Details often look very crunchy and I sometimes go back an smooth out blue water areas that may be oversharpened.

     

    For more info on Lightjet printing, check out http://www.calypsoinc.com/

     

    They provide their own ICC profile.

     

    Edit: BTW, I use BWC in Dallas for some of my Lightjet prints.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.