Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sony A6000 and Inon S-2000 Strobes

Started by Istiophorus ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony A6000 and Inon S-2000 Strobes

5 posts
  1. Hi,

    I am using a Sony A6000 in a Meikon Underwater Housing, with two Inon S-2000.

    Strangely enough, even though the Switches are at S-TTL setting, there is no pre-flash and the flashes seem to fire at the same power regardless of camera settings. This can result in under- or overexposed pictures.

    As far as I know, the magnets are only necessary for manual shooting.

    Anyone got any ideas? I am thankful for any and all help.

  2. To my knowledge, the S-2000 indeed only needs the magnets for manual flash power (mine are in, but I mostly use my Z-240's underwater).

    Have you tried to see what your pop-up flash is set to on your camera? I am not sure about the SONY menu, but on my Canon 7D, if you go into flash settings in the menu - flash control - Func settings internal flash. I have mine set to manual flash, 1/64th power. I did have issues when setting that to ETTL, but that was possibly because I have my strobes firing manually too. Added benefit of setting a low power to your pop-up flash, is that the recycle time is fast - which makes you able to fire more shots off..

     

    In my first dives, I used ETTL strobes UW, but I quickly found that manual control is mush easier, faster and better (no more over/under exposure), but just how you see it.. Also, you are able to set the right strobe down half a stop or even a stop, to create some interesting shadows and highlights...

  3. You have to make sure that the camera is in fill flash mode (i.e.) TTL mode not in manual. In fill flash you definitely get the pre flash.

    Bill

  4. To my knowledge, the S-2000 indeed only needs the magnets for manual flash power (mine are in, but I mostly use my Z-240's underwater).

    Have you tried to see what your pop-up flash is set to on your camera? I am not sure about the SONY menu, but on my Canon 7D, if you go into flash settings in the menu - flash control - Func settings internal flash. I have mine set to manual flash, 1/64th power. I did have issues when setting that to ETTL, but that was possibly because I have my strobes firing manually too. Added benefit of setting a low power to your pop-up flash, is that the recycle time is fast - which makes you able to fire more shots off..

     

    In my first dives, I used ETTL strobes UW, but I quickly found that manual control is mush easier, faster and better (no more over/under exposure), but just how you see it.. Also, you are able to set the right strobe down half a stop or even a stop, to create some interesting shadows and highlights...

    Thanks for your reply. I am indeed using manual settings now, but I have to say that it is a bit cumbersome when switching between targets of different size. e.g. you will need to get much closer to a small fish than to a sea turtle to fill the frame, and have to adjust accordingly

    You have to make sure that the camera is in fill flash mode (i.e.) TTL mode not in manual. In fill flash you definitely get the pre flash.

    Bill

    Thank you for your reply. I think I worded it wrongly. The camera does do a pre-flash. The strobes don't - they simply fire at full power as a response to the pre-flash and, since they don't cycle fast enough after a full discharge, don't fire at all for the actual photo.

  5. If you want TTL then the magnet needs to be out of the strobe. The magnet in tells the strobe that there is no preflash.

    Bill

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.