Oly m.Zuiko 9-18 not working in PT-EP05L with PPZR-EP02 zoom gear
Started by traveldave ·
10Posts
10Replies
Read-only discussion
Oly m.Zuiko 9-18 not working in PT-EP05L with PPZR-EP02 zoom gear
10 posts
Hoping for a little help. I have an Olympus PEN-EPL3 camera with PT-EP05L housing and PPZR-EP02 zoom gear. I have had no problems using all of this with the kit 14-42 zoom lens. However, I also have an m.Zuiko 9-18 zoom lens, and from what I can tell this should work with the housing/zoom gear that I have. However, the two times I've tried to set it up with that lens, I can't get the door to close (unless the lens is unextended - but in that case I then can't get the lens to extend).
While it looks like there are two different zoom gears (the PPZR-EP02 and the PPZR-EP01), it looks like the one I have is the one that should work with the 9-18. I haven't found anything so far that makes me think that only certain 9-18 lenses work (and that I could have the wrong one). Any thoughts on why I can't get this to work? I can try to take pictures of the setup and problem tonight if that's helpful. Hoping I'm not being dense here.
Thanks in advance for the assistance!
Dave
That is the housing which came with the weird LED lights on the port. That port only ever came on that housing.
It specifically lists only the 14-42 as supported.
Unfortunately, you have a one off that was recognized as not very good.
If you want to use the 9-18, buy either the Zen port or the AOI port for it.
Or try to find someone willing to part with the standard port from the epl1/2/5 housing.
I have the Zen simply because it was only available when I got mine. I works great, no complaints.
I also have an AOI acrylic for the panasonic 8mm FE. I have no complaints about it, but I have not tried the glass version to compare.
I don't think you go wrong with any of them.
What would be the arguments for/against the glass vs the acrylic? I'm still pretty new at this game.
The AOI ports are confusing me. Looks like there are three options:
- DLP-03
- DLP-04
- DLP-04P
The 03 is glass and the 04 and 04P are both acrylic. Haven't been able to find an explanation of the differences between the 04 and the 04P. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks
The DLP-04 has an aluminum body, and the DLP-04P has a plastic body. That's the only difference between the two. The 03 also comes in an 03P version with a plastic body and glass which is a bit cheaper. I wouldn't have any qualms about getting the AOI port in a plastic body. AOI makes the housings and ports for Olympus, so it's the same material/strength as the housing it will be going on. I have a Zen port with my housing solely due to finding one used for a good price.
If it were me, I'd either go with the cheapest AOI or the Zen.
With the sale price on the Zen, you get the metal port and glass for cheaper than the AOI version.
The Zen is very well made.
If it were me, I'd either go with the cheapest AOI or the Zen.
With the sale price on the Zen, you get the metal port and glass for cheaper than the AOI version.
The Zen is very well made.
Thanks! What are the advantages or disadvantages of glass vs acrylic?
Thanks! What are the advantages or disadvantages of glass vs acrylic?
Glass is slightly heavier. and has higher scratch resistance. But once it's scratch, it cost more to polish or you might probably need to replace the glass.
Acrylic is easy to scratch if not taken care properly. but i doubt very shallow scratch will have optical effect underwater. But even more visible scratch can be polished and buffed with some kit sold online as long as it's not too deep.
Optically, both acrylic and glass are similar. Those people that claim glass domes are more superior does not have proof to support their claim.