Hi, I'm a beginner and want to get into photography. Most of my underwater shots were shot JPEG, but I have recently upgraded my camera and can't wait to use it and shoot RAW.. Is it necessary to have BOTH lightroom and photoshop. I have photoshop and have been trying to learn it which will take me a while... do people then normally export to photoshop?? Should I splurge and purchase that too when the time comes? Any thoughts/preferences? Thanks!
Also what about video? I have adobe premiere elements which I like a lot but do people do color corrections before piecing together videos??
I don't currently have Photoshop, but then I didn't want to go through the learning curve with it either. (Used it a fair amount in the past, but never mastered it).
I used to use 'best of breed' software, meaning using Canon DPP for shots from my Canon point-n-shoot, plus Playstation Memory (or whatever it's called) for my Sony RX100 shots, and Nikon's Capture NX2 for my Nikon shots. And DownloaderPro for downloading images, plus tried IDImager as a database manager, and various output software.
It just got to be too much of a pain when I went on vacation and had shots from multiple different camera brands. I finally just decided to go with Lightroom and try to figure out what was needed to get it to equal at least Capture NX2 for my Nikon shots. And I was very much interested in using it for a database manager as well.
It's worked out just fine. Even more so since Capture NX2 went obsolete and was replaced with the (even more terrible) Capture NXi. It's worked fine with RAW files from all three brands, though I miss the U-point technology from Capture NX2.
It does not do anything with video files though, so no help there. It's also kind of clunky for moving folders of images around, which is a pain for me. I download to a temp folder structure, rate and cull images, and then move the folder to a final location. The file handling interface isn't very handy for that.
But it has all the features I need, and works pretty fast.