Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

o-ring grease

Started by Awagami ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

o-ring grease

4 posts
  1. I've recently purchased the Neewer housing for the Sony a6000. I understand this is a rebranded version of the Meikon housing (cheap! cheap! cheap!). One of the differences between the 2 housings is that the Neewer version does not include o-ring silicon grease. So, I thought, no problem: I'll just go to the hardware store and buy a bit of silicon grease. That'll do the job, right?

     

    Well...subsequent research has revealed that there are different varieties of silicon grease, some of which may damage the o-ring. My question is this: what sort of silicon grease should I use? Where would I get that grease? (Meikon sells a grease, but they oddly do not ship to my zip code--I live in San Francisco, CA, USA.)

     

    Thanks, I appreciate any help you can provide!

  2. Interestingly, the Neewer company responded to the email I'd written them requesting information on how to get o-ring grease with this: "...o-ring grease is not necessary. But if you need it, you could order the grease elsewhere."

     

    Sigh. But Meikon told me that they'd ship to me if I made at least a $20 purchase. So, I bought three tubes of grease from them--I'll be thoroughly lubed up :-)

  3. Probably doesn't matter since you already bought some, but I have a container of Trident Silicone Grease that's lasted for years and years.

  4. Ah, but is Trident Silicone Grease good for the Neewer/Meikon o-rings? That's what puzzles me: how can any particular silicone grease be better or worse for a different manufacturer's o-rings? Aren't they all made of the same materials? I mean, I understand that a petroleum-based grease would cause a rubber o-ring to decay, but....a silicone grease?

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.