Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Problem with Aquatica 4" minidome & Nauticam NA-D500

Started by Anders Nyberg ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Problem with Aquatica 4" minidome & Nauticam NA-D500

16 posts
  1. Hi

    I have a Nauticam D500 and tried to use my old Aquatica 4" mini dome and NA-Adaptor for Aquatica ports.

    The problem is the image quality is really bad in the corners, ​I believe that the distans to the dome need some extension ring also for best quality ?

    Any advise to get this right or should I need to buy a other minidome?

     

    regards

     

     

     

    post-4494-0-18202800-1485254905_thumb.jpg

  2. What lens are you using, Anders?

     

     

    Hi

    I have a Nauticam D500 and tried to use my old Aquatica 4" mini dome and NA-Adaptor for Aquatica ports.

    The problem is the image quality is really bad in the corners, ​I believe that the distans to the dome need some extension ring also for best quality ?

    Any advise to get this right or should I need to buy a other minidome?

     

    regards

     

     

     

  3. What lens are you using, Anders?

     

     

    Aaaaah Sorry for that,...

     

    I use the Tokina 10-17mm, and also have the konko 1,4x

  4. Hi Anders

     

    If you got sharp corners prior to using the Nauticam/Aquatica set-up, I'd suggest it is indeed the extension length not being right.

     

    But sorry, I can't help with that combination but I'm sure someone will......

     

    No help on the Nauticam website about using their housing with other ports and adaptors?

  5. Hi Anders

     

    If you got sharp corners prior to using the Nauticam/Aquatica set-up, I'd suggest it is indeed the extension length not being right.

     

    But sorry, I can't help with that combination but I'm sure someone will......

     

    No help on the Nauticam website about using their housing with other ports and adaptors?

     

    U right, something about wrong extension length..

    have tried to look for information but have not found anything

  6. If you're using the 10-17 with the 1.4, I think the 1.4 is 19mm as I recall. If you have a short extension for either Aquatica or Nauticam, probably the shortest available will be a good fit. With my Bare port, which is about 4 3/4", it works without extension but the lens almost hits the port.

  7. Please note that the curvature of different domes (and manufacturers) vary. Thus the best guess would to find out the dome to sensor distance in the corresponding Aquatica housing and then workout the necessary extension with the dome connected via the adapter in a Nauticam housing.

     

    In Aquatica's port chart, they recommend to use a 48453 extension with the Tokina 10-17+1.4xTC. The 48453 has a nominal length of 28.5mm. There might be differences in the camera body positioning to the port hole of the Aquatica and Nauticam housings. Ignoring this, a very rough guess would be to try out either the 10mm or 20mm Nauticam extension rings.

     

    For further info, you might want to contact me directly.

  8. Thanks for good advice guys 😊

    The funny part is that I was at BOOT dive show in Düsseldorf this weekend and took my mini dome with me and made a visit at Nauticam. Had some big hope that they could help me but I have never been rejected as this before! Believed that Nauticam would be more helpful? But big No!! One of the advice was to check my settings as aparture....

  9. Hi Anders,
    think your Problem is the port Adapter, because it give you more lenght.
    I have a Zen 4" for my Hugy housing, and there is one for the Tokina 10 - 17mm and another one for the Nikon 10.5mm.
    With this small domes, there is nearly no tolerance for sharpness.

    If you wanna use it with the TC, it might work, depending on the lenght the port Adapter is adding.

    Have the same Problem with Hugy housing using Nauticam macro port and Athena dome port.

    If i have some time, i plan to start a list with housing brands and measurements of bayonett edge to housing edge, to make it easier for People using different housings and ports.

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  10. When I use my 4inch Aquatica mini dome on my Nikon D500 I have to use the Aquatica extension #48456 which adds 16.5mm. Are you using an extension with the mini dome and adapter?

     

    Regards Mark

  11. When I use my 4inch Aquatica mini dome on my Nikon D500 I have to use the Aquatica extension #48456 which adds 16.5mm. Are you using an extension with the mini dome and adapter?

     

    Regards Mark

    No, because, I only have the 20 mm extension and it doesn't, as it will be corners in the frame with it

     

    Anders

  12. I think thats where your problem is that your mounting the Mini dome without the correct extension which makes the lens closer to the mini dome itself thus giving softer corners. If you have a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye try that as it doesnt need a an extension.

     

    Regards Mark

  13. I think thats where your problem is that your mounting the Mini dome without the correct extension which makes the lens closer to the mini dome itself thus giving softer corners. If you have a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye try that as it doesnt need a an extension.

     

    Regards Mark

    Hi Mark, Yes your right! It must off course be wrong distens between the lens and the dome,

    /A

  14. Hi Anders,
    how much is your lens standing up in front of the housing when the port Adapter is mounted??

    @ Mark,
    how much is the lens going out from the front of your housing?

    The difference should be the missing lenght.
    The question is only, if there will be a short enought extension....

    Regards,
    Wolfgang

  15. The shortest extension is 10mm.

  16. Hi everyone

    Thanks for all advise and support, Great!!!

    I took the essayist way and sold it to a Aquatica housing owner, and will buy a new one for my housing :)

     

    best regards

    Anders

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.