Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which Olympus model to upgrade to...

Started by bluep ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Olympus model to upgrade to...

16 posts
  1. Currently diving with an Olympus E-PL1. Plan is to keep this as a back up but invest in a new setup that I can still use same lenses with. I've got the 60mm so a housing that means I can use that without buying another port would be good.

     

    Options:

    1) already got an E-PL7 body and pancake EZ 14-42mm I use out of the water so buy a Olympus housing for that (or sell this camera to put towards cost of 2-4)

     

    2) get E-PL8 and housing (is this even out yet)?

     

    3) OM-D EM1 camera and Olympus housing (bundle comes with a port that will fit both the kit lens and the 60mm

     

    4) OM-D EM5 camera and Olympus housing

     

    Opinions as to which Olympus model sticks out as bang for bucks? Or should I be going for the Mark II models instead? I'd rather save for a bit longer and get something really worth the upgrade.

  2. I am in same situation, but without EPL7. I would stick that in an Oly hsg and choose between several Oly lenses:

    8 mm FE needs a non-Oly port. 12-40 EZ zoom with special gears. Or 9-18 zoom.

     

    The new housing is said to be smaller and lighter. But also has a smaller diameter port, so check lens and port combos carefully.

     

    Ikelite has a couple of housings for EPL7. If above doesn't fit your needs?

     

    and then there is Fantasea?~

  3. I'm not sure they're going to make a housing for the epl8.

    I have the epl7 & housing, but my epl7 is dying on me. I was looking at specs of epl7 & epl8. They are extremely close physically. Wondering if an epl8 fits in epl7 housing.

     

    I think you want to keep using the 60mm, so if you go for epl7 housing, you will want to take the port off the epl1 and use that. I use a Zen semi dome for the 9-18 and use that and the 60 behind it.

     

    Are the deals out yet on the em1 & housing? I think all the em5 deals are gone.

     

    I'm trying to decide what to do:

    1. send my epl7 to olympus for service

    2. sell my epl7 housing and start a new

    3. buy a used epl7 ( I wish oly had some refurbs for sale)

  4. If you want to go for a 12-40 you need to stick with the larger OMD housing.

    I don't think it will work on a PEN housing. Also be aware that the em5 ii housing is more like a PEN housing than an OMD.

     

    BTW, I had an epl2 and went to epl7. I felt it was worth it.

  5. Hehe sounds like you and me are a perfect match Chris

    I could either sell you my E-PL7 if I decide to go for a EM1 or EM5 set up...or you could sell me your housing...

  6. Going from a PEN to the E-M1 was a wonderful upgrade for me- having so much control really improved the experience both topside and below. The M1 kit with the housing is a great value, although technically you could use your existing flat port with an adapter. Chris is right about the M5 mkII housing- it's not like the other OMD housings in that it has the PEN port system. If money were no object, I'd go with the M1 mkII because you only live once, right? The downside is that it has a slower max sync speed than the M1 mkI, and the housing has a little bit bigger form factor.

  7. I'm liking the idea of the m5 mkII housing - sounds like this would take the 14-42mm, 60mm, 12-50mm kit lens and 9-18mm without the need to buy any other port and be maximum compatibility with my E-PL1 housing if I did buy any ports in the future. Idea is I dive with one set up whilst my boyfriend dives with the other... so mixing and matching would be quite useful.

     

    Unless I can find a good second hand deal on E-PL7 housing.

     

    What strobes best with the set up? Any recommendations?

  8. I also just purchased an em1 mkii.

    I am considering housing it, but a couple of things give me pause.

    I really love the compactness of the PEN system underwater.

    Also, if I flood an em1 ii, I'll be very upset. If I flood an epl7 I'll just have a drink.

  9. Worried about flooding? That's what insurance is for ;) For what it's worth, I made a claim on the policy I purchased through DAN and quickly received payment...

  10. I'm in a similar position: have EPL1, invested in the system the recent acquisition of 8mm FE and mini-dome, and trying to determine when and what to upgrade to.

     

    FWIW, I read a review of the E-PL8 a while back (dpreview or imaging resource) and the conclusion was that if you have the 7, the upgrade is definitely not worth it.

     

    At present I'm hoping to hold out another year and get a EM-1 II after a presumed price drop. I like that the newest Oly housing has a deeper depth rating (196ft / 60m), and that it's just the best 4/3 imaging available so should keep me from needing to upgrade again for a long time.

     

    That said, if this camera was only for UW duty, I'd probably jump on the best bundle deal I could find on E-PL7 or EM5. However, I'm planning on my next Oly body to be my main camera, UW and topside (and selling off my Pentax SLR kit). That means I could actually make use of the significant capabilities of the latest OMD cameras in a way I'm not likely to under water: high-res shot mode, super-fast seq. shooting, and an electronic viewfinder.

  11. I'm liking the idea of the m5 mkII housing - sounds like this would take the 14-42mm, 60mm, 12-50mm kit lens and 9-18mm without the need to buy any other port and be maximum compatibility with my E-PL1 housing if I did buy any ports in the future. Idea is I dive with one set up whilst my boyfriend dives with the other... so mixing and matching would be quite useful.

     

    Unless I can find a good second hand deal on E-PL7 housing.

     

    What strobes best with the set up? Any recommendations?

    For strobes, I've been using an Inon D2000 for years with both epl2 & epl7.

    It's been very solid and exposure in usually right.

    Personally, I'd go Inon again, but I don't have experience with others.

  12. bluep, did you ever come to a decision? I'm looking at upgrading from my E-PM1 in the next year or so. Unfortunately, the E-M1II isn't in the cards, so it would be between the E-M1 or the E-M5II for me.

  13. My experience for what it is worth... Buy (with in reason) the best you can afford. I was in a similar position to you a while ago, so many options I was just fed up of thinking about the pros and cons of each choice. I ended up making the decision between the top pen at the time (the exact model I can't remember now) and the what was new OMD EM1. I already had a pen camera with only housing so ended up going for the cheaper upgrade with the new pen.

    It wasn't long before I ended up cutting my losses and opting the the far better OMD and Nauticam housing. To put it bluntly the controllability you get is far better (for underwater use is a major factor), the build cost is far better and robust. So if it means saving a bit longer I would do that or look for a used setup.

    Ask around if anyone is using the setups your thinking about and compare the two. If your in the South West I am always out diving with my EM1.

  14. For me the choice would be pretty straightforward. If money is not a big issue, I would suggest you get the newest EM1 ii and whichever housing you prefer. But you are looking at around $4000 for the body and hosuing alone. If you want a "deal" and want to get the 12-40 lens anyway, I would get the EM1 and the 12-40 lens from B&H Photo for $1299 and then buy whatever housing you want, but probably a lightly used Nauticam. If you don't want/need that lens and would be okay with the Olympus housing, then I would get the EM1 and the Oly housing bundle that is being offered by a number of dive photo places for about $1700.

     

    For underwater use, I am not sure how much of an upgrade the new EM1 will be and either camera is a big step up in features from what you have now.

  15. I ended up going to the EM-1. The deals around the holidays were too good to pass up. I got the body+housing & port for less than the cost of an EM-1 Mk II body. Did a handful of dives with it recently and no complaints (well, I wish it had dual triggers and a vacuum option, but can't have everything).

     

    Draq has great advice. If you are planning on additional lenses (the 12-40 is a great all around lens) then getting the lens kit would mean you can go with a different housing that adds a couple features the Olympus one leaves off. I would have gone that route except I already had the 12-40.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.