Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fish from Sabang, Philippines

Started by chowe ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Fish from Sabang, Philippines

6 posts
  1. Here's a few I can't ID. Any help appreciated.

    post-51812-0-23100100-1485394874_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-11291400-1485394886_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-40310300-1485394892_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-38642200-1485394900_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-07278600-1485394917_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-96529700-1485394945_thumb.jpg

    post-51812-0-73563700-1485394965_thumb.jpg

  2. #6 is a Black Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis)

  3. #5 is definitely a Cardinalfish. My best guess is either

     

    Fivelined Cardinalfish (Cheilodipterus quinquelineatus)

    -or-

    Juvenile Spitband Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus compressus)

     

    #2 sure looks like a small or juv Hawkfish, but I see none with that distinctive dorsal fin spot. The Batu Coris (Coris batuensis) has that spot, but doesn't match in other ways. Maybe a juv Coris batuensis? Now that I look closer, I see the much smaller spot farther down the dorsal fin. So, I'm going with juvenile Coris batuensis.

     

    Good luck with the Goby (#3) - one can go batty pouring over Goby ID pics....

  4. Thanks Moray Eel,

    I think you nailed the two Wrasses. I looked at both the Cardinalfish you suggest and can't find any pics of either that have alternating thick and thin stripes. I have already gone batty looking at Goby pics. This one looks like it should be easy.

  5. I just found out why I couldn't find the goby, because it's Helogramma striata, a Striped Triplefin. Found it completely by accident.

  6. 1 peacock fairy-wrasse (cirrhilabrus temminckii)

    2 juvenile batu coris (coris batuensis)

    4 blackspot damselfish (pomacentrus stigma)

    5 wolf cardinalfish (cheilodipterus artus)

    7 lemon damselfish (pomacentrus molluccensis)

     

    others already correctly identified

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.