Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Will I miss the Tokina?

Started by pooley ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Will I miss the Tokina?

6 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I've been housing-less for a couple of years now as I was concentrating on topside stuff, but am keen to get restarted underwater again.

     

    Currently, topside I have a Canon 1dx and a 7d2 as backup. I hardly touch the 7d2 as the AF is too 'twitchy' for my liking with fast moving subjects. The IQ of the 1dx also knocks spots off the smaller sensor.

     

    However, I am considering housing the 7d2, and one of the main reasons is being able to use either the Tokina 10-17mm or the Canon 8-15, depending upon how much budget is left over after buying the rest of the gear. Ideally I would like to stick with full frame, but if I do so I fear I will miss the flexibility of a fisheye zoom.

     

    Also, it's likely I'll only be able to afford an 8" dome, but would only plan on using this with a 15mm fisheye. I'll get a macro lens whichever system I go for, so thats not really going to sway my decision much.

     

    I could maybe just about affording to go down the route of swapping the 7d2 for a 5d3 (had one topside previously and really liked it).

     

    The only way I could go for the 5d iv would be to sell my 1dx and I'm not sure thats a great idea with the stuff I shoot topside - could be convinced though!

     

    As an outside option I would consider going with Nikon if a good price could be had, but I am happy with my current workflow with DPP4 and photoshop, so there would have to be a significant reason - much better dynamic range or similar.

     

    So, the main question - am I likely to really miss a fisheye zoom?

     

    thanks in advance

     

    Mike

    Edited by pooley
  2. I have been using the Canon 8-15 on full frame (it also works with APSC and APSH) since it came out. You should try and borrow a copy. My understanding is that it is superior in every way (maybe or maybe not focal length range) to the Tokina. I avoided the Tok (got the Nikon 10.5 for my Nikon APSC system instead) due to its slow maximum aperture (as this affects AF) as well as build quality issues (lens falling apart). BTW several second hand 1Dx housings have appeared for sale at bargain prices such as around 2K if I recall right.

  3. I have been using the Canon 8-15 on full frame (it also works with APSC and APSH) since it came out. You should try and borrow a copy. My understanding is that it is superior in every way (maybe or maybe not focal length range) to the Tokina. I avoided the Tok (got the Nikon 10.5 for my Nikon APSC system instead) due to its slow maximum aperture (as this affects AF) as well as build quality issues (lens falling apart). BTW several second hand 1Dx housings have appeared for sale at bargain prices such as around 2K if I recall right.

     

     

    Cheers for that Tom. I would like to take the 1dx underwater, but have only seen 1 housing second hand. Maybe I need to bide my time.

     

    Having used both the 1dx and the 5d3 topside, the only real difference I can see for UW use would be the frame rate for ambient light shots - both have superb high ISO and whilst the AF speed is a little better from the 1dx, the difference is minimal and this is when driving the big white supertele's that require extra battery power.

     

    However, my main issue is losing the flexibility of a fisheye zoom. I won't be able to afford a 9" port for something like a 16-35mm, so should I go down the full frame route I'll be limited to a fixed fisheye and a macro lens only - possibly adding a 1.4x behind the fisheye if necessary.

     

    Mike

  4. Hey Mike

     

    Having been down the route you are thinking of, albeit with Nikon, I thought I'd add my three 'appence worth.

     

    I had the Nikon D300 and just loved the Tokina 10-17 and used it pretty much as my go-to WA lens for 3-4 years. I moved to FX a few years ago with the D800 and initially started with the Nikon 16-35. But, after much messing about with soft edges, expensive 230 domes and the like... moved to the Sigma 15mm a couple of years ago and, phew, am really happy with it. It is now definitely my WA go-to lens. For Big Fish that you can't get close to it isn't so great - but then neither was the Tokina. But for reef shots, diver shots, wrecks, it is, in my view, perfect.

     

    Much though I loved that Tokina zoom capability, I can honestly say I do not now miss it. I haven't checked back on the Tokina metadata to see to what degree I used the zoom range but gut feel tells me that I probably used it most at it's widest zoom setting.

     

    If I was making lens suggestions to someone now, based on my experience, I would not hesitate to suggest going with the Sigma - and not to bother too much about the non-zoom. The Sigma is terrific: and it doesn't need a mega dome.

  5. Cheers for that Tim,

     

    Good to hear you don't miss the zoom function too much - in an ideal world I'd definitely prefer to use a full frame camera, it may just come down to the pennies, and what housing I go for.

     

    At the moment if I buy new I was considering a hugyfot (previously used Subal and loved them but will struggle to finance one at the moment) which I can put together for a 7d2, but if I go full frame thenit'll have to be either used or Ikelite.

     

    thanks for your input though, all good to know

     

    Mike

     

    p.s. - hope you caught the match against the Hammers last night, we're finally attacking like we should be!

  6.  

    Mike

     

    p.s. - hope you caught the match against the Hammers last night, we're finally attacking like we should be!

     

    Yes, I did Mike! Sweet, sweet, sweet. What a forward line that could be in the months/years ahead. Awesome stuff.

     

    Maybe worth a look on the Subal website. They've started a second hand sales page. You might get lucky! Or ask in the Classifieds here. The last Subal housings I sold were an incredible deal for the lucky buyer!

    Edited by TimG
Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.