Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Mounting both Keldan's and strobes

Started by Byron ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Mounting both Keldan's and strobes

5 posts
  1. Hey

     

    I am looking to mount both a set of Keldans along with my Z240's onto my Nauticam SLR housing

     

    If anyone has any photo's of a similar set up I would be interested in seeing how you have chosen to mount them. I am after full flexibility to mount both and use them for Wide angle photo's and video on the same dive

     

    Thanks in advance

  2. It takes a bit of work but can be done. On the handles I have arms for the strobes, and on the housing itself two ball mounts (where the stabilizing bracket goes) for the video lights. Very very heavy though.

    Bill

  3. It takes a bit of work but can be done. On the handles I have arms for the strobes, and on the housing itself two ball mounts (where the stabilizing bracket goes) for the video lights. Very very heavy though.

    Bill

    Thanks for your response, I don't suppose you have any photos of it set up like that?

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. If you are using Nauticam clamps, they offer a version called a multi-purpose clamp, that has a place to insert a 1" ballt, so as to allow the mounting of a second light next to the strobe, or, if you want to separate them, you can use the multi-purpose clamp with the ball as the middle clamp between the two arms, so the video light will be at the joint between the arms and the strobe at the end of the arms. Check it out on the Nauticam website.

     

    Or, and I did this with my pair of YS-01s and Sola 4000s, you can put a ULCS triple clamp at the end of your arms, and mount both the strobe and light right next to each other. The length of the ball mount on the strobes/lights allowed plenty of clearance but still placed them right together in an over/under configuration. I put the video lights on top. That way, when you are shooting stills and position the strobes, and want to switch to video, the video lights are already in the same position. Also vice versa. I found this very easy and fast to use underwater. Above water, having all that weight at the end of the arms made handling a little tricky, but the clamps could tighten down enough to prevent excessive movement. By the way, you can also use the triple clamp as the center clamp if you want to have the video light on the center clamp.

     

    If you google nauticam multi purpose arms and pick "images" you will see photos of the set-ups with the video lights on the center clamp and strobes at the end, and also images with both on the end clamp. You can easily visualize the same set up with the ULCS triple clamp.

     

    Personally, I found the ULCS triple clamp a more compact, elegant and simple solution.

    Edited by guyharrisonphoto
  5. I attach focusing lights to the sides of my ULCS arms by mounting a simple ballhead to the arm while using a large washer for the bolt. The bolt runs through the latticework of the ULCS arms. I found this jpeg on my HD from a couple years ago. It shows my gear after arriving at one of my salmon sites but after putting on my waders (topside shoes in pic). The rig closest to the back of my SUV has a light (Fisheye light) on one of the balls while the other has a Seacam clamp on it but no light. You can see the large washer from the side on the unused side. A similar arrangement would likely also work with Keldans equipped with a standard ball fitting.

    post-3540-0-13520300-1490211327_thumb.jpg

    Edited by Tom_Kline

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.