Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon macro 105 2.8 af VR-any users?How do you like the new VR function ?

Started by onokai ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon macro 105 2.8 af VR-any users?How do you like the new VR function ?

4 posts
  1. I have a subal type 4 port housing a Nikon d300-I shoot the older 105 2.8 af lens. I'm off to Indonesia soon and thinking about a apart 105-seems the new ones are all the VR styles now which are bigger but the ports I have will fit them-any feedback on these VR lens. I was going to get another used 1052.8 af but if I heard the VR was super I'll order one now.

    Tell me your 105 stories

     

    I also have a 60 and am taking an 18 and 20

    all af 2.8 lens as well as a 17-35 zoom.

    Edited by onokai
  2. Hi onokai

     

    I've had both the older Nikkor 105mm and the new VR one - and have used both in Subal housings, Type 3 and Type 4. My Type 3 housing was for a D300.

     

    As you have the Type 4 housing, you'd have no problem with the wider barrel of the new VR 105. I was able to get it into the Type 3 housing but had to be careful the AF/M switch wasn't pushed when putting it into the port. The VR is a chunky beast.

     

    I do find the new VR 105 better than the old in terms of focussing. It's just quicker and quieter. The older 105 chugged along and got there eventually. The VR is speedy. I think it perhaps "hunts" less than the older 105 - but that is a bit of a subjective view. As far as sharpness is concerned, I'm not sure I can see a difference. The new one is certainly very sharp! I think I read comparisons on Wetpixel some years back; and I'm sure if you google around you'll find comparisons on the web.

     

    Is it worth paying for the VR if you already have the older 105? I was able to sell my old one for a fair price so the cost of the upgrade wasn't huge. And so, for me, it was worthwhile.

  3. Thanks I ordered a new 105 vr and a new 60 af-s as well. Now i have some spares.

  4. I bought an 85 micro as well since I'm shooting an older d300 not a full frame camera.. Been shooting the 60 and 105 combo for 30 plus years and and a new size lens sounds good.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.