Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Soft focus w/ Wet Wide Angle Lens

Started by jonjake ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Soft focus w/ Wet Wide Angle Lens

2 posts
  1. I have a Dyron SWAL13 that I have been using with my Canon G7X in a Nauticam NA-G7X housing with the N50 short port. The relative price, wide FOV, and Blue Water Photo test results (http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/canon-g7x-underwater-lens-tests) are what led me to the SWAL13.

     

    Thus far I have found that getting photos with razor sharp focus with this lens/camera combination is nearly impossible. The very wide field of view is great for composing big shots but many of them end up having soft focus and are barely usable. Any ideas why this might be the case? I have not had the same type of focus problem when shooting with my CMC-1 macro lens or no wet accessory lens.

     

    Here are a few example photos that I feel show this problem:

    https://jonjake.smugmug.com/El-Nido-2016/i-6VmGkHQ/A ( f/8, 1/40s, ISO 125)

    https://jonjake.smugmug.com/Cozumel-2016/i-6KVw3K4/A (f/8, 1/80s, ISO 200)

    https://jonjake.smugmug.com/Central-California/i-r4shgL5/A (f/8, 1/60s, ISO 200)

     

    I have read some recommendations that suggest locking focus on your fin at the beginning of a dive when shooting wide angle and others that say to put your camera in Macro mode when shooting with a wet wide angle lens. Any suggestions or tips that I can try would be greatly appreciated!

    Edited by jonjake
  2. Your lens optics are inadequate for the task it would seem. The 1 cm sensor requires something better at least an Inon lens or better the Nauticam WWL-1

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.