Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

OMD EM1 "blobs" in EVF.

Started by Griff ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

OMD EM1 "blobs" in EVF.

10 posts
  1. I have my second OMD EM1 body which both have had faulty rear dials. I have now have yellow blobs in EVF which do not appear on the LCD or final pictures. It is not a dirt blob on the EVF glass but is inside. Anyone else experienced this? Oh yeah 2 Year Olympus warranty has just run out!!

    Will I buy another Olympus? I was thinking of EM1 mk2 but build quality has not impressed me one bit. I also shoot Canon DSLR's and never had problems with any of the 10 I've owned.

    Not happy!!

  2. It's a common issue with the E-M1's. Caused by sunlight in the EVF. If you have had the camera with the eyepiece facing the bright sunlight, especially with the diopter turned up, that causes it.

     

    https://www.mu-43.com/threads/omd-evf-bleeding.64334/

     

    Since it's a known problem, I'd see if Olympus would be willing to still fix it under good-will warranty.

    Edited by JMartel
  3. I Googled it and it came up with the same answer. I am going to contact Olympus, hopefully they will fix it for me.

  4. From what I have seen, Olympus can and will fix this and often will do so at no charge outside of warranty, although I would not count on that. Once I learned of this issue I have tried to keep my camera from being in a position where direct sun enters the eyepiece. I have been lucky so far.Some people have said that after having the replacement done, they have not had the problem again, perhaps suggesting that there has been some sort of change. I suspect they are just more careful. Supposedly this is most common if you use a high diopter power to adjust for eyesight. The magnification works both ways and increases the intensity and therefore heat on the sensor. I have not heard either way whether this is still a problem on the Mk ii

     

    The "good" news if it happens is that it does not affect the images or the lcd, so if it happens on a trip, you can keep shooting (if you can see around the blobs).

     

    Good luck and let us know what Olympus does.

  5. I does not affect the final image, it's more annoying than anything but it does not install any confidence in Olympus products. They are water proof, freeze proof but not sun proof!!!! It must of been when I was taking pictures on the beach recently.

  6. Got my EM1 back from its free repair, out of warranty, which was good but the clowns at Olympus Aus have misaligned the new viewfinder screen so I can't see the info at the bottom of screen and only have 72 focus points not 81!!

    Olympus cameras are not reliable and so it seems not are thier repair department. Not happy, will be on the phone to complain in the morning.

    Won't buy another Olympus camera. Will stick to Canon.

    Edited by Griff
  7. All camera manufacturers have defects. You just happened to pick the unlucky straw. I wouldn't put out a blanket statement and say that Olympus cameras aren't reliable. Everything I've found has been that they are quite reliable. I've never had a problem with either of mine. I'll continue to buy Olympus products. I've had a Canon 7D show up dead on arrival. Bad luck in my case. So Canon isn't without their faults, either.

  8. I understand your aggravation, but you could do a google search and would find the same comments about every brand of camera and all kinds of "I'll never buy a ________ again" comments for every brand you might consider. The fact is all of these cameras are very complicated and at the same time manufacturers are trying to build them to a size, weight and cost standard that dictates a significant compromise in quality. Cameras are mass-produced disposable consumer goods now.

     

    Of course, there is no reason not to stick to Canon if you like them and they work for you, but the same could be said about all the major brands. At least Olympus fixed it beyond the warranty period. I have not yet heard of this blob issue happening on the E-M1 ii...maybe they fixed the problem.

  9. I acknowledge all cameras can have problems and a completely dead one is unlucky. If you look at original post I stated my wife and I have owned 10 Canon cameras (still use 2 above water) and all have been faultless even after dropping a 600D on to concrete it worked.

    My Olympus history is as follows:

    1. OMD EM1 bought Jan 15 rear dial problem after 6 months exchanged by shop.

    2. OMD EM1 silver which replaced above camera in Jul 15. Works ok till rear dial problem in Nov 16 fixed under warranty.

    3. OMD EM10 wife's underwater camera works fine.

    4. OMD EM1 has sun spot in view finder in Feb 17 (another common problem with Olympus) which is fixed out of warranty as they acknowledge faulty part.

    5. Get it back from repair and new viewfinder is off Centre by a row of focus points and all of information at bottom of screen is obscured.

    Is this bad luck with 2 cameras and 1 botched repair? No its poor reliability as they are common faults.

    I have a Hyundai IX35 which has had quite a few minor faults including 4 sat nav/ radio units and 3 leather steering wheels with flaking leather. Is that bad luck or a sign of fitting poor quality components? Even the dealer states the sat nav is cheap rubbish and they change a lot of them.

     

    I phoned Olympus this morning and they told me to try a re-set and if that doesn't work they will fix it as a priority job. I know Olympus are doing thier best to help me and the after service is very good (repair aside!!)

    I was thinking of upgrading to the EM1 mk2 but will wait to see the GH5 (I also have a Panasonic G7 with no problems) or wait for more reliability feed back on the EM1 mk2. I have sold all my housings and ports for the Canons and am heavily invested in lenses, housings and Nauticam N85 ports to switch back to Canon for my underwater photography, so I hope you all understand my frustration and dilemma!!

  10. Update, I sent back the EM1 to Olympus to fix the dodgy repair of the off centre EVF. They were apologetic and sent me a postage label and are going to treat it as a priority.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.