I am leaving for a two to three week UW photography trip to Asia on May 4th, but am just getting started and have never done UW photography before..
I already had the Olympus E-M1 Mark II camera, plus computer equipment and Adobe CC with Lightroom and Photoshop.
I literally bought my first UW photography gear from ebay today:
Nauticam Compact Macro Convertor (CMC-1) $212.50
Nauticam Wet Wide Lens (WWL-1) $531.00
Nauticam Port 29 w/ Lumix PZ 14-42mm Lens & Focus Gear $338.33
The plan is to purchase:
Nauticam housing for E-M1 Mark II with vacuum valve protection
Panasonic 8mm f3.5 ( seems like a cost effective wide angle for a starter system -- compared to the 8mm PRO,)
Nauticam 4.33 inch port for Panasonic 8mm with PF-8 focus gear (With such a small port, am I giving up the ability to do over/under split shots?)
Olympus 60mm
Nauticam N85 port 65 with 0-60F focus gear
Accessories
2 Sea and Sea YS-D2 strobes
diffusers for YS-D2s
Fiber Optic cables or sync cords
Nauticam Flexitray II with left and right handles.
Focus Light
Arms
Clamps
Floatation
Carrying handle
67mm adapter for CMC-1 and WWL-1?
Not sure:
Covers for the strobes and ports so they don't get scratched?
Bag to carry underwater for CMC-1, WWL-1, port covers and other miscellaneous items? How do you carry all your stuff?
Lanyards (to connect camera to some part of the body or BC)?
----
I plan to purchase either used or from my local dealer (Optical Ocean Sales in Seattle) in spite of the extra 10% state sales tax.
The strobe connectors are a little mysterious to me. Is there a housing/strobe combination which allows TTL with the Olympus E-M1 Mark II (camera does not have an internal flash)? If I stick with the Nauticam housing and YS-D2 strobes what are the best strobe connectors -- fiber optic cables or sync cords?
The accessories are still unknown and complicated to me. What is a good, high-quality arm, clamp setup for the Nauticam housing and YS-D2 strobes? Do I need floatation arms and if so, what size do you recommend for the setup above? Knowing nothing, I am thinking of a combination of Nauticam carbon fiber float arms and extra Stix floats, although I have no idea what sizes to get,
What else do I need? Please tell me everything I need -- I don't want to get to Asia and not have something or discover that I bought gear that won't work well.
Do I need a small backup camera if I am travelling on a remote liveaboard in Asia -- I a;ready have a small, cheap Olympus SH-3 point-and-shoot and there is a Recsea housing for it, albeit on the expensive side.
I am surprised there are as many UW photographers as there are because it is all very complicated and expensive. The only reason I have gotten this far is from reading Alex Mustard's excellent book "Masterclassroom," which is what inspired me to take up this hobby. It is the best instructional book of any kind that I have ever read.
In general, I want a good starter system with high-quality components.
Thanks!
[Note: Sorry about hijacking this thread, but this is my first post here and the system won't let me start my own topic.]
.