Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Silver Globes on Coral

Started by DS256 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Silver Globes on Coral

6 posts
  1. I've seen these before but can't remember what they are called. Anyone had an idea? Thanks

    post-45315-0-70010000-1488477430_thumb.jpg

  2. They have a lot of names, but I like Sea Pearls. I also like Bubble Algae. The binomial name is Ventricaria ventricosa, and they are one of the largest single-celled organisms (each bubble is one cell).

  3. Very cool. Thanks for the names. Time to do some reading.

  4. Sailor's eyeballs was another given name I believe. The more polished one can give a nice miniature reflection of your camera rig in the water.

    I have seen one disappear in the time between dives and I understand that they reproduce and disseminate by popping.

  5. I learned something new today. Thanks. Very cool how nature keeps surprising us.

  6. My wife and I are regulars at Sunset House on Grand Cayman. Great shore diving. Cathy Church's Photography is also on premise and she runs wonderful annual Photofest Workshops that I've attended and can highly recommend. It was during one of these workshops that she told us that many times you will find pictures of other marine life in your picture, that was not the subject of your picture. Can't believe the number of times I've cropped multiple pictures out of a single image. Still can't believe how much marine life is so small. I'm looking at getting a full prescription mask now. The reading lens inserts are just not cutting it anymore.

    Edited by DS256

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.