Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Need some dome port mod advice

Started by swingninja ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Need some dome port mod advice

4 posts
  1. Hello!

     

    I've been using Meikon dome port with OMD EM-5 housing and/or Sony RX100 IiI. They've been working great for me. But I found that "screwing" the dome port while diving is a real hassle. Fore reference, this is pretty much what I've been doing:

     

    Anyone out there have any suggestion on how to make installing/uninstalling it more swiftly? My thoughts so far:

    1. Buy an M67 ring adapter that has a built-in hinge and a clip or magnet so I can open/close it like a door underwater. I've seen someone using a macro lens attachment like this when diving in Bali. I didn't bother asking him since his setup looked like it's 10x more expensive :)

    2. Use a bunch of magnets around the edge of lens opening and the dome port. Not sure how secure this mod will be.

    3. I googled/youtubed "bayonet" dome port, but still couldn't figure out what/how it works, so I'm not sure what this is. Is this the right solution? Can anyone point to where I can get one for Meikon? it's got 67mm diameter.

     

    Thanks.

  2. Hi,

    can you try out if the distance gets a little longer, it will still work?
    If so, you could attach a M67mm to Inon AD Mount on the dome, and the opposite on the housing.

    Regards,
    Wolgang

  3. Hi,

    can you try out if the distance gets a little longer, it will still work?

    If so, you could attach a M67mm to Inon AD Mount on the dome, and the opposite on the housing.

     

    Regards,

    Wolgang

    I agree with Trimix25 re the Inon AD mount. I have an old Olympus that has that setup to allows shooting with the standard lens, converting to either macro or WA by mounting the AD appropriate lenses. Works great, you have the AD lenses setup on the strobe arm and you can switch back and forth on the fly. I loved how convenient that was before switching to my OM-D / Nauticam / Zen Dome setup.

     

     

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks for the advice, guys. Your replies gave me some ideas of what to google. I still can't really figure out how the AD mount would actually fit in to my system without actually looking into some demo videos (which I couldn't really find). But I found this Nauticam M67 Port to Bayonet Mount Converter for Wet Lenses and it seems like it's what I'm looking for.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.